Photobucket

Friday, November 13, 2009

Perspective

I spent the day today with fellow teacher at a conference. It was an eye-opening experience as this co-worker is in a wheel chair... She got in a car accident as a senior in high school and has been in the wheel chair ever since.

I learned a lot about what it might be like to be her. Lots of people look at you, the counter is too high to order your deli sandwich for lunch, you have to around and over and around again to find a ramp or elevator, people tend to talk to you a lot.

Yes, these are all obvious things. I know that. But I have not really "lived" it. And, yes, I'm well aware that walking around with J for one day does not in any way give me the full scope of her life.

However it makes me understand things a bit more, gives me some perspective. It gives me pause to think about how I treat others.

Two more things before I go to bed:
1. If you did not see the pictures of R yet, check out the post below.
2. I'm missing my little baby so much tonight it hurts.

No comments: