Photobucket

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Two Years Ago Today...

(Above: The first picture I ever saw of my child on the day of our referral, Dec. 7, 2007.
Below: One of the pictures we received on Jan. 28, 2008 after we learned we'd passed court and were heading to Ethiopia to bring our daughter home!)A and I were on a plane to Ethiopia for the first time to meet our precious R...


I cannot believe it has already been two years since that plane trip.

I remember how excited and nervous we were. I remember just wanting to get there already and getting to our girl.

My tiny little girl. She was only 3 months old when we met. And my heart had ached for her for the 2 months we waited between referral and travel.

I think about that flight, that trip a lot. We were flying toward our family. The end of a long wait to become a mom and the beginning of life as one.

R had my heart from the first moment I saw a picture of her. A and I were in love with her from the first glimpse at our then-three-week-old baby. But there were so many unknowns.

We'd read all the books and learned all about attachment and bonding. One line from a book we read sticks with me even today... "Adopted children will often VIOLENTLY reject one parent. In most cases, it is the mother." I was so scared that our tiny baby would reject me. Could my new momma's heart take it?

Surely her rejecting me couldn't be more painful than the wait to finally hold her was.

And, what did we know about being parents?

4 comments:

titushome said...

Precious little R!! What a trip that must have been!

You are such a good Momma to your two girls....I'm so glad you are a family of four now!!!!

Sarah

Sara K. Parker said...

Wow, what a cutie patooty referral photo!!!!

I can't believe how little both your girls were when you brought them home!

milreb said...

I love that you posted R's referral photos. It's so fun to see what she looked like then compared to now. (I sound like People magazine.) All good things are worth waiting for right? Happy Family Day!

JonesEthiopia said...

TitusHome, thank you! I try as best I can to be the best mom for them.

Sara, yeah, how could we NOT fall in love with her, right? And, yes it still amazes me how little R was when we got our referral and when we brought her home.

Milreb, you crack me up, and yes, all good things are worth waiting for. I wouldn't want my family to be any other way now!