Photobucket

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

CBS's story about CWA in Ethiopia

What are your thoughts?

I was pretty appalled by the one-sidedness of their reporting. I think if the story is true then CWA should never be allowed to operate in any country again.

I think CBS was unfair in a lot of what they reported, and I did not like how they made it seem like most ET adoptions were unethical.

Clearly, if there is wrong-doing by an adoption agency, then it should be invesigated so that it does not happen to any other families. I would never want to have any part in an illegal adoption.

I would really like to know what the rest of you think.

Here's the link to the CBS Evening News homepage if you have not read it or seen it...

5 comments:

_ said...

I thought it had no substance AT ALL. It was like a ten minute headline. Where was the investigating? The reporting? It was basically just an attention grabber that threw fuel on the anti-adoption fire.

I think someone needs to be checking out CWA factually and finding out what went on. I think someone needs to be finding the people in Ethiopia (and everywhere else) that are conducting illegal adoptions and smash their agency to smithereens.

But this was not a piece that was helpful to anyone.

In my humble opinion... :)

emily v. said...

i was super frustrated. You can bet that I wrote them a nice long letter telling them how i felt about it.

my heart is sad for the family they interviewed and their situation...but you and I know that isn't the norm.

thanks for the link to the story.

hugs-
EV

annieglan said...

Let's not mention the 4.5 million orphans waiting for families. UGH! How frustrating.

J-momma said...

this story is incredibly sad. and its not the first time i've heard of corruption within adoption agencies. i have very mixed feelings about international adoption, to be honest. most of the orphans that need adopting are over the age of five but most families want babies. parents are giving their children to orphanages not because they are abusive but because they are poor. no one should lose their child, and no child should lose their family, just because of money. there's no perfect way to adopt. social services has their faults too. i don't feel there's a better or worse way to adopt, but for me, it just felt right adopting through US foster care. i think it's important to spread these stories so people are aware and know what to look for when adopting out of country. just like when they air stories of social workers skipping investigations that end in a child's death. that gives us standards. it keeps people watching out closer.

The B Family said...

A similar show focusing on CWA was released by an Australian network over the summer. It was very disturbing to me then, as this one is to me now. And they featured different families, so this isn't the first time such claims have been made with respect to this agency.

It's upsetting that the piece seems to imply that all Ethiopian adoptions should be suspect; I'm already preparing myself for questions from people who have seen this and how I will explain how I know that this is the exception but not the rule. I do think stories of unethical adoptions need to be made known and not swept under the rug, though. People need to get fired up and outraged about unethical adoptions so that action will be taken and more safeguards will be implemented to prevent more children and families from the heartbreak and tragedy of being victims of unethical and fraudulent adoptions.