Photobucket

Monday, February 1, 2010

One Month Since our First Family Day

Jan. 1, 2010.
A new year.
A day for new beginnings.

What better way to begin the year than bringing home our second daughter and being united as a family of four? I love that our Family Day is the first day of the new year...

In the month that she's been home, E has blossomed. She's amazing in so many ways. She is sweet, calm, funny, good-natured, all around cute, cuddly, healthy... The most important adjectives I'll use tonight is: secure and comfortable.

She knows who her mom and dad are. She loves her big sister (who kicked her in the face today-- very special). She's doing remarkably well considering how old she was when she came home and how hard things were at first for us, well, for me, mostly. She would have little to do with me our first week together in Ethiopia, and I don't blame her.

My sweet little girl... I can only imagine how scared she was. I know with R, I can look back at pictures from our first days and weeks together and see the fear in her eyes. I am not yet at that place with E entirely, but I know it will come in time.

And, she's healthy now. I am pretty sure she's giardia-free, and she's growing and gaining weight like crazy. It is definitely time to say good bye to all the 6-9 month clothing and bust out the 12 months stuff. We will never know how long she had giardia (although there was no mention of it in our referral paperwork), and I do know that it can cause delays in growth and development. I know that being healthy has made such a huge difference in my little one.

This post is scattered, as is my brain tonight. I have lots going on, lots to think about, and lots to do in this new year. And on top of all that, I'm supposed to return to work 2 weeks from tomorrow. Ha. Riiiight. (E is so not ready for that, and I'm not either.)

2010 has already been a year of change for us, and it is only the second month. I'm excited to see what this next month brings.

4 comments:

titushome said...

I had to laugh about R kicking E in the face....yesterday Aba asked me if she could kick Bete in the nose. I asked her why she would want to do that and she said "because it would be funny". I said no, and she didn't - she just 'pretended' to. "Look Mama, I'm pretending to kick Bessleham in the nose!" and then she'd collapse in giggles. So silly.

Glad E is doing so well!! I'm excited to see what the next month brings for you guys too....hopefully it will include more pictures of your girls posted!! ;)

Sarah

Melissa said...

So hard to believe it's been a month already!

If you think having a two-year-old kick an infant in the face is bad, just imagine having an unborn, toothless child who "bites" her "helpless" two-year-old sister several times a day! If the baby is this naughty now, just imagine what she'll be like after she's actually born!

annieglan said...

You are blessed! And your family is gorgeous. I'm glad E is doing better.

milreb said...

so glad to hear she is healthy! yeah! poor girl, her insides must have been making her miserable.