Photobucket

Friday, January 29, 2010

Ugh.

Said to me today about the girls: "They're cute. How much did they cost?!?"

My (icy) reply: "Nothing."

Why are people so rude? Do YOU have kids, buddy? How much did THEY cost? Why do people think it is ok to ask adoptive parents questions like that?

If you're an adoptive parent, how do you answer questions like that? Also, what do you do when people want to touch your children's hair? I need to be more assertive about that, too, while I'm at it.

11 comments:

Andrea Young said...

UGH is right. I need to think of graceful answers NOW so I'm not rude back when they ask!

natali said...

Oh my goodness! The nerve of some people... I wish I knew what to tell you, but I am inexperienced. Maybe you can tell me one day when I am asking the same questions.

annieglan said...

OH MY! That is horrible. I would say something like, "oh! well they cost a lot. Diapers, daycare, food, clothes, etc. I guess that's what comes with being a parent." And as far as the hair goes. My adult friend has people ask her all the time if they can touch it (she has a fro). She lets them. I however would say something smart a** and say, "Only if we (me and all of my kids) can touch yours." That would hopefully make them feel as uncomfortable as they made you/ them feel.

The B Family said...

How rude! I have yet to encounter any such quetions but am sure it's not a matter of if, but when, I will. I'm the type of person who thinks of a good response hours or days after the opportunity has come and gone. I'm going to come back to see if you get any good ones--and maybe research and rehearse some.
Hope all else is well!
xoxo

Sara K. Parker said...

GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH. MY. GOSH. I can't believe someone just outright SAID that to you!!!!!! I have no idea what I would have said. Most likely something stupid b/c I would have been so caught off guard.

mama becca said...

I usually punch them in the face. but if i'm in a really good mood, i just tell them to suck it.
i know, i'm so full of grace and kindness ;).

Sparkz said...

I have people ask that all of the time, so I guess it doesn't bother me when some odd person asks about it. Mostly though, it has been people who are wanting to adopt and they want to find out so that they know what to prepare for!

T said...

The worst question is when people ask me if they (the kids) are "ALL yours?!" And then when I say yes they say "but I mean are they REALLY yours?" To which I look directly at them and say "yes I AM their mother". They usually back down then. I have had people ask where I "got" my kids from. It is just ignorance. Now that my children are getting older I just tell them that some people don't have manners and they don't understand the gift of adoption day! My oldest son is 7 and he has been to a few adoption days and he loves them. So he thinks that other people are just missing out :)
The hair well for us it has only been other little kids that are curious and once they touch it they go on playing.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. What a horrible position for you to have been put in. I would have said something horribly inappropriate in response - like, oh, about the same as a semester in college, but you wouldn't understand that. And then I would have felt bad for offending people who hadn't gone to college.

milreb said...

Hehe. I am laughing at that last comment. :) Let me know what you can come up with so I can rehearse for when our day comes. On the touching the hair thing, I have been letting people do that as long as I know them.

brenda said...

I like the comment about Yeh, they cost a lot. . .food, clothes, diapers, missed sleep, hugs, kisses, . . . .