Photobucket

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ethiopia Trip: Day 4: Embassy Appointment Day

Monday, December 28, 2009, 2:15pm

The princess is currently napping. She did very well last night-- only getting up 2 times, once around midnight, the other around 5am. (Maybe waking up for the call to prayer? And A said he heard roosters this morning, too!) She had hardly had any formula with us because she kept spitting it back up. Turns out the "age appropriate" guideline for bottle nipples is not a good one. We brought size 4; she's on 2! We asked A today, and she gave us T's actual nipples from HH. She started to perk up right away and is now eating fine. She can also eat table food, which is good because that's all she really had until we figured out the problem.

Across the street, construction is still going on on the building that was being built in Feb. 2008 when we were here last. Currently, men and women are carrying large rocks, one by one, into the construction site. For what reason? Who knows? I could watch the street below our hotel all day long and never get bored!
Above: A rather poor (but actually the only one I can find at the moment) photo of the building in Feb. 2008. Below: The same building in Dec. 2009! These are the rocks I'm talking about.

T is warming up to me much more today. Last night, she was all daddy's girl, but she is doing better with me. I'm not too concerned as this is pretty normal behavior. After all, the knowledge that she has of women is that they leave her. It will take a while for her to understand I'm not going anywhere!

The embassy appointment was fine. We rode to it in a small bus, and A held T while she looked out the window.

We waited for quite a while for all the appts.-- nearly 3 hours. T was an absolute angel baby and slept on me most of the time. The questions were basic-- is this the child referred to you? When did you meet her? What do you know about the birth family? Will you meet the birthmother? If you ever would, you understand that you cannot give her anything? You understand that the adoption is final and forever? (A thousand times, yes!)

T woke up at the end of our time there and did cry a little but was mostly fine. Really, all the babies were!

She is a snuggle bug, this one. So much more so than R already. She loves to just be held and cuddled, especially when sleepy. She sort of attaches herself to us, a good thing, indeed, and loves to grab onto our shirts while falling asleep and having a bottle. Or whenever, really. She just loves to feel secure. Sweet little beet indeed!

Addis. Once again the city overwhelms me. Constantly moving and busy. But poverty and sadness all around, too. It is hard to really imagine that my babies are from here (even with being here right now) and what their lives would be like had they stayed.

There is no Internet at the hotel this time, but text messaging on my cell phone works. I sent an update that way, as I'm sure back home, people are wondering. I know it went through because at 2:30pm-- 5:30am at home-- L texted me back, and I was able to send and receive another response. So that is good. (By the way, she's having a BOY!!)

No comments: