Photobucket

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ethiopia Trip: Day 3: The First Evening

Sunday, December 27, 2009, 8:15pm

We have her! Our daughter is now sleeping peacefully in the Moses basket at the foot of our bed.

I cannot say that our first meeting with our daughter was blissful. She was so scared, my precious girl! She cried and cried when I first held her and reached for her special mothers and for A (HH director). (I'm sure it didn't help that they woke her up from her nap.) She was terrified, and of course, I don't blame her. She finally did fall asleep on me while we were at HH, but I think it was because she wore herself out.
As we walked the short distance to HH, I couldn't help but remember the last time we did this to bring home R. I miss her so much! I was so nervous, too.
A wanted us to meet our kids one family at a time this time... and the babies were all napping so one by one, families went into the house. About halfway through the families, A called our "J family, T's parents," and into the house we went.

We met our daughter on the steps in the main house at HH. We were on our way upstairs, and the special mother met us there with a confused and crying infant. She said, "T? T's parents?" I must confess I didn't realize it was her at first! I wasn't expecting to meet my daughter in the middle of a flight of stairs.

Her cry could break your heart right in half. She cries with her whole face, her whole body, the poor baby. It took A's holding her and speaking to her in Amharic to calm her down enough to fall asleep in my arms.

After meeting T, we were able to meet S's daughter B and take some pictures. She is so darling and precious but was very scared of us. I hope to be able to spend some more time with her and take more pictures with her as the week progresses.

T's really taken to her Daddy, not so much to me. She sat on his lap all through dinner and even shared some hamburger bun with him. She hasn't had much of a bottle, but that's ok.

After dinner, I took T upstairs while A signed for the bill. She realized he wasn't with us and just cried and cried until he finally came upstairs. She fell asleep in less than two minutes, I think! A held her a little while and put her down. She wiggled and got comfortable and then stayed asleep.

One of the most precious surprises of the day is a CD. Not just any CD, though. It is a CD labeled "T with her [birth] mom." A and I both teared up when we were told what it was. A precious treasure. Even though we will not meet T's birthmom, we have pictures of her. That is an amazing gift. I cannot wait to see them.

I hope for a peaceful night for us and for our girl.
By the way, when we got to the hotel she peed on me while we were sitting in a chair. Awesome!

8 comments:

natali said...

She is beautiful! And that's so sweet that she gave you a present in the chair :))

Arena Mom said...

OH gosh this post brings back memories! Mayna was 13 months old when we picked her up and I just remember the grieving she did (esp at night). She also was a huge daddy fan and wanted nothing much to do with me at all. How tramatic, but with a sweet ending.

Betsy said...

She is so beautiful- thank you for sharing your story for those of us still dreaming of what that day will be like! Was HH in the new building yet ? And where did you get that sweet baby doll that she is sleeping with?

Ron & Maria said...

Daddy's girl!
I think when she peed on you she was testing you - if you accepted this, you'll pass the test.... YOU PASSED!
She has those sweet Ethiopian eyes.
m

Missy said...

I love it! She is precious!!

emily v. said...

hey girl! love the post. that first picture reminded me, what was the etsy store where you got her little blanket/doll??

hugs-
EV

Julie said...

She is so beautiful! That Et shirt my girl is wearing was made by Evelyn from Three Continent Family. Nice huh?

Sparkz said...

Every time I see these pictures I get goosebumps! She is wonderful! Makes me long for when we get to start our second adoption.

I love your post on our blog. Don't you love standing out in a crowd though!? :)