Photobucket

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mom FAIL!

Ugh. Day two of A back at work, and I've already failed miserably as a (temporary) stay at home mom of two.

I take synthroid daily and have always just kept it by my bed. R knows it is for mom only and doesn't mess with it...

Until today.

R wanted Beary, who happened to be on my bed so I sent her upstairs on her own to get him. E and I stayed downstairs and played baby drums. R shut the door to my room, and I could hear her getting into the shoes on the shoe rack hanging from the door. No big deal, really, I thought, plus it was keeping her occupied for a few minutes.

E started fussing the "I'm hungry and tired" cry so we went into the kitchen to get a bottle. After making it, we went upstairs to my room.

Upon seeing R, she had "the look" in her eyes. You know. The "I'm up to no good" look. I was expecting to find lotion everywhere or something.

Then I noticed the pill bottle on the floor. I ran to it and picked it up.

Empty.

I started panicking. I asking her where mommy's medicine was. "Eat, eat," she said with the sign for it as well. I asked her again, and she gave me the same answer. (Sometimes she makes stuff up so I needed to be certain.)

I called A and couldn't get a hold of him. I was crying. E was crying. R was just standing there. A called me back and got the number for poison control for me.

When I could talk, I called. (I was really hysterical.) I gave the guy the information, and thank you god, the medication wasn't going to kill her. She's fine.

I just held her and sobbed until A got home. E, the sweet little baby, fell asleep while having her bottle next to us on my bed.

Ok, that was definitely more terrifying than her breaking her arm this summer.

And the whole episode from her going upstairs to my finding she'd eaten the pills was 3 or 4 minutes at the most.

So, yeah, a big FAIL to me as a mom of two...

(BTW, A's working on transferring my picture files to an external hard drive, so I'll actually be able to post some pictures of the baby soon!)

4 comments:

Ron & Maria said...

(((HUGS)))
I hate these incidents - they happen soooo super fast!
Breath! She's ok. Thankfully!

It's only day 2, you've got lots of time to practice at this new job!

BTW, when my hubby went back to work after our Ethiopia trip - I CRIED! LIKE A BABY! Scared to death the kiddos were going to find out how 'out of the water' I felt! It's hard in the beginning, but actually all the hard stuff is behind you - you're a family now, together! Love and hugs to you!
Maria

Kristi J said...

wow...we've all been there...My Hal drank TOPICAL Itch Gel..He had to go to the emergency room and be watched for 12 hrs. he was fine too...it is the first of many CRAZY days with two babies :) hang in there...you're a great mommy, kj

Sparkz said...

Wow glad everything is okay. I would have cried too!

Btw. giardia- I've never had it but am from the North and know all about the symptoms. I am SO sorry. You've had a rough go of things!

emily v. said...

Molly!! Hang in there. I know the feeling. You aren't a failure by any means...it's all part of the crazy parenthood journey. I am so glad she is okay. How is miss E doing? is the giardia clearing up?

Hugs!
EV