I read somewhere-- a blog, an online article, a book, a magazine... I don't know which-- before R came home about the importance of using satin for African hair. A and I stored the info away and didn't act on it until it was clear that we were at a point with R's hair that we had to make some changes... It was time to really start understanding that beautiful Ethiopian baby curls need something different than what my hair does, for example.
I remembered about the satin pillowcase suggestion and tried it out. R's hair was improved immediately. Why? Well, satin is smooth, for the most part. Instead of my girls' hair getting sort of "stuck" on cotton and especially flannel, when they move their heads, their hair just glides across the pillowcase. Bottom line, hair that isn't catching on material for 8 hours straight is healthier and stronger hair. It also helps to keep the hair's moisture better for many of the same reasons.
So, I don't just have my girls sleep on satin because they're princesses.... it is because it really is better for their precious curls. I am sure you will find the same if you start using satin for your ET children, too!
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
So funny, because I heard about that recently too! I told my hubby that we would be purchasing satin pillowcases when we brought home our daughter(s) from Ethiopia...and that I would be getting one for myself, too. Hey, I have super curly hair--maybe it will help control the frizz. haha. And, by the way, they are PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simply gorgeous.
I just read that on a blog too! I also read there is a product you can find at Walmart or any Ethnic store that is Shea Butter and Green Tea. I also know that Aveda has Humectant that is awesome.
Thanks!! I'll have to get one for little B!! What Etsy seller is making them for you?? You'll have to let me know how they turn out!!
Sarah
Great tip-our Ethiopian princess is sleeping on the same satin "pillows" that our blond princesses did. It helped them not to get that "baby bald spot" on their head and it's working great for Special K's as well. My mom's friend makes squares of satin trimmed and backed by fleece for use in the crib (helps it to stay put while they move around and we even have one that we use in the carseat).
.... and they are Ethiopian princesses!... They also deserve the satin pillow cases!
Post a Comment