Photobucket

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Changes in ET Adoptions

Well, it looks like starting today, Ethiopia is going to require adoptive parents to go to Ethiopia twice-- once to attend court and once to bring their children home. Also the US is going to require some checking into each child's case before an embassy appointment can be assigned.

Here are my thoughts:
1. (Selfish) Thank god we brought E home before these changes took place.
2. I do understand that this is to put in place procedures to make sure adoptions are ethical.
3. Two trips= more money and more time off. Would this be feasible for us again? It is such a long trip. Would I want to make this trip twice?
4. Families will be able to bring their children home on an IR3 Visa, meaning they will automatically be citizens when they come home. No messy readoption and applying for certificates of citizenship.
5. If we were on the waiting list right now, I don't know what we'd do.
6. Just one more reason why international adoption is risky (but so worth it!). So much is out of our control...

I'm sure I'll have more to say about this later, once I've thought about it a little more. I know we are no where near a place in which we even want to adopt again right now and couldn't even if we wanted to because our agency makes families wait 9 months before starting another adoption.

5 comments:

emily v. said...

wow! where did you hear this info? That is a big change for sure. Praying this won't stop people from bringing home these precious babies!!

emily v. said...

wow! where did you hear this info? That is a big change for sure. Praying this won't stop people from bringing home these precious babies!!

missy said...

i knew there were changes coming, but i wasn't prepared for two trips. if money was no issue (HA!) then i actually think the two trips would be cool b/c we could take the whole fam the first time and get to see more of the country. but to leave your baby there????? SO hard!

Anonymous said...

We are on the waiting list currently and trying to look at the positive side of the situation.It will be nice to meet our daughter at such a young age, but the idea of going home without her is heartbreaking. I am glad will be will be able to learn more about Ethiopia while we are there.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.