Photobucket

Friday, December 11, 2009

The Faith of a Child

Today, I received the sweetest email while at work...

So, the song “Feed the World” came on and I was explaining to T about how it’s about how many children in Africa don’t get to celebrate Christmas because they don’t have any food or toys or money. She asked if at least Santa went to their homes, and I explained that many don’t have homes for Santa to go to. We talked about this for a few minutes and she disappeared.

A few minutes later she comes downstairs with her bank and asks me to open it and asks me for a baggie. She comes back with the entire contents of her bank in the bag and says she wants to “give it to the poor children who don’t get to celebrate Christmas.” She insists she wants to give it ALL. So, you will find a bag of money in R’s bag to bring with you to ET. On the bag she drew a picture of a child holding a toy “so that M knows what the money is for.” She also enclosed a small toy and a pen so they can “draw on paper.” I am seriously crying.


This is from my friend's 5-year-old daughter. So, tonight, when R gets home, she'll have in her diaper bag the most precious of the things I will TAKE with me to Ethiopia in 2 weeks. I think about the innocence of this beautiful child and her amazing spirit. How her sweet heart breaks for the children of Africa, of Ethiopia, as mine does and how she will be a change for them.

I am so proud of this child and in awe of her faith and compassion. How many of us are willing to completely drain our savings to give to those who have none? How many of us have the faith to believe that what we do, no matter how small, can make a difference for others?

I cannot wait until I see this tiny five-year-old girl again to tell her how proud I am of her, to tell her that I will carry her gift-- literally every penny she has-- with me to Ethiopia and share her heart and her story.

It makes me wonder what you, what I, what we all can do to be a change? What are you willing to give of your time and resources? And what I am willing to give? If T at 5 years old can give everything selflessly and without hesitation, what can I do at 30 years old?

1 comment:

milreb said...

Wow, amazing! It would be neat to get a picture of you giving her gift to Almaz so it becomes even more real.