Photobucket

Saturday, March 14, 2009

R's Hair

I've had people ask me lately what I use in R's hair to keep it looking its best. Obviously, it is really important for me to have R's hair look good and well cared for. A fellow Ethio-mom emailed me yesterday and asked about her hair care routine. Here it is:

We use the Curls.biz baby shampoo and conditioner when we wash her hair. We only wash it one to two times a week. We used to use "No More Tears," but that has sulfates in it, and that can dry out curly and/or African hair.

I put "Itsy bitsy spirals" from Curls on her hair every day. We alternate between the "ring around the curlies" leave in conditioner and the "curly q milkshake" because the milkshake is too thick for her hair to use every day. (I probably use the milkshake about 2 or 3 days a week.)

Daily, I finish the routine with Silken Child "Silk Moisturizing Creme" from Sally's Beauty Supply. It sort of has some hold to it, although that's not its intended purpose. It's what works for us. We've also tried the "Leave-in detangler" from Silken Child, but I don't like it very well. I think it takes away some of the natural shine in R's hair with product build up.

And, I only use a plastic wide-tooth comb in her hair, and only comb it when I've put product in it. I put "spirals" and "curlies" or "milkshake" in first before I comb it. After combing it, I put the Silken Child creme in to finish it off.


Also, she sleeps with her head on a satin pillowcase. We bought a king-sized one because it fit all the way across the crib mattress when she was a tiny baby. Now she uses it with a small pillow. I know this seems really princess-y, perhaps, but it has done wonders to keep her hair on the back of her head looking good and growing a lot more.

I can't wait to be able to style her hair again. Currently, this hair care routine involves a lot of thrashing about and fussing from R, so I haven't put her hair in a style in several months. I love putting headbands and barrettes in it, though. (And of course, they are safe for African hair.)

Ok, that's it.

1 comment:

The Gresham Clan said...

Wow - that's impressive :)!! Sort of glad I can just shave Abraham's off now :) - easy peasy.