Photobucket

Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Giver

It's a novel I read with my 8th graders. We started it yesterday. I've been talking about starting it with the students for several weeks. One of my students came up to me at the beginning of class yesterday and told me he "wasn't allowed to read that book ever again." A call to his mom confirms this. So, I scrambled and picked a book another team in my school had just finished reading, one called Copper Sun. We just finished an integrated unit on the Underground Railroad, slavery, and the Civil War. So it works because it just sort of continues that theme, one the student was really interested in anyway.

I've never actually had a parent object to a book we've read in class. And I've used The Giver in my class for 5 years now! It's just a weird thing.

1 comment:

J-momma said...

yes, it's a private blog so you can safely say her name. and i won't spill the beans on your blog. cute name though! i'll just say that much.