Photobucket

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Why is it always at Panera?...

... that I seem to get comments about my kids? Last night, after I picked up R and E at my friend M's house, we met my parents in M's town at Panera for dinner. They've been gone for 2 weeks, and the girls have missed them so much (and vice versa).

We got there fairly early, like around 4:45, which is good, as the place isn't too crowded yet. We get our meal and begin to eat.

A woman comes and sits behind us and opens up a laptop. She starts talking to us and the girls. I can tell she's curious about them big time. Throughout our meal she keeps talking to the girls, my parents, and me.

While R and my mom are in the restroom, my dad mentions something about Ethiopia and how big E is compared to just a few short months ago when we met.

The woman perks up again and starts asking about the girls, like when they came home, etc. She says it looks like they're adjusting well. I say that yes they are for the most part.

She pauses and says, "This may seem nosey, but why was she (E) taken from her birthmother?"

Ok. Umm, yeah, big time nosey.

I said something like, "she wasn't taken from her birthmother. She was relinquished by her birthmother."

(There is a big difference, I am thinking.)

And I say nothing more.

I read somewhere (I think maybe on another blog) about 6 months or a year ago the following:
"Children who are adopted do not owe you their life stories."

That's all I could think about last night as this woman asked a very personal and private question about my daughter's background.

Lady, many of my friends and a lot of my family don't know the full story of my daughter's life. (Heck, I don't even know it all.) What makes you think I'm going to tell you, a complete stranger?

I know this woman probably meant no harm and wasn't thinking when she asked the question, but it is not fair to expect that just because a child is adopted that we need to share (what can be painful) stories of how she came to her family with complete strangers.

7 comments:

Chrissy said...

Another example of people being stupid. Sheesh.
I think you handled it well.
You should have asked her if she is a virgin. Maybe then she would get the "private information" gist! lol...

Missy said...

Yes, you handled it well! I'm sure she just wasn't thinking....(or an idiot)...LOL!

mama becca said...

(a) i love your post below :).
(b) i just don't get it either. i like your response.... just to the point and end-of-story, none of her business. but. why does everyone think they have the right to know??? i compare it to this: would anyone come up to me, with my white kids (and because they're white, they assume they're bio kids, which yes, is an assumption), and say "so, how many times did you and your husband "do it" in order to conceive?"
NOPE! NO ONE DOES THAT! Maybe that will be my question for the next nosey person i encounter :).
"so, why did sam's birthmom give him up?"
"uh, i don't know. how many times did your husband, you know, before you got pregnant?"
I crack myself up :).

Maria and Family said...

Love love your girls!! How beautiful they are :) I get questions too, pretty often with 2 bio, one lil one from guatemala and one from ethiopia but honestly i dont care. i dont share anything personal , but try to get folks interested in adoption :) the only questions that irk me are "are they foster kids" no, they are MINE (wth?). AND "HOW much did they cost?" which is so ignorant i usually pause a bit then just say they are priceless, the process cost about as much as your new car ;) then walk away LOL!

milreb said...

Oh Molly, I agree with you completely. Our kids' stories are intensely personal, sad, and raw. I don't know why strangers feel ok about treading into such personal territory. I have to confess, I know I could have asked these kinds of questions of others before I fully realized the pain and loss associated with adoption. I am really liking the responses suggested above. Wonder if I would ever have the nerve!

_ said...

Hi, can you send me an email? :) I tried to find an email address for you, but I couldn't.Thanks!!

jameyschatter at gmail dot com

Gretchen said...

I LOVE your response. LOVE IT. I will remember it and use it one day. (and right now I sound like a robot... no voice to my writing....)