(See the post below for a few pictures from Easter if you haven't already!)
Today, we had a break through at our house. My R, during lunch, looked at her sister, puckered her lips, and made an "mmmm" sound at her sister.
I realized that she was trying to give her sister a kiss. I pushed their chairs closer together, and my babies gave each other 2 kisses.
Beautiful.
This may seem like no big deal, but it is a huge thing, really. Just 3 months ago, when E first came home, R would have never done this. Heck, she wouldn't have done this even 3 weeks ago.
Also today, A and I were watching the girls play together. (They were "making soup." Adorable.) A said to me, "Can you imagine life without E?"
"No, I can't."
"Can you imagine if we would have waited a few years to adopt again?"
"No," I said, "good call on starting our adoption when we did."
"Good call," he said, "on adopting two girls."
I told him that I knew they would need each other. And they do.
People (especially in the adoption world for whatever reason) have questioned why we decided to adopt 2 girls instead of a girl and a boy. I have two brothers and my entire life, wanted a sister. I thought it would be important for our girls to have same-gender siblings. They are going have experiences no one else in our family will have, being Ethiopian, adopted, and in a transracial family. I know there were many times as a kid and teenager, I wished I had a sister to talk to and wanted that for my girls. Hence, two Ethiopian princesses instead of a princess and a prince. (For now. We're not finished!)
I love that my girls have each other. They are only 15 months apart, and I think this is going to be a very good thing. When we received our referral for E, I must admit that I was concerned that R wasn't even 2 yet and that E was already 8 months. When we started this process, we'd "planned" (like you can plan in adoption--haha) for our girls to be about 2 years apart in age.
It is hard, sometimes, very hard to have a 1- and 2-year-old, but I already see the benefits of their being so close in age.
I love that my "big girl baby" and my husband are so in love with our "little girl baby."
I love how A and I chose to build our family.
Monday, April 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
eh. you don't have to answer to anybody your decisions for your family. who cares why you wanted two girls instead of a girl and a boy? pregnant people don't get to choose. two girls were meant to be in your family. although....speaking from experience, boys are pretty cool ;)
very, very cute! :))
You know, if you go for an Ethiopian prince next time he's probably gonna need a little brother sometime down the road. :)Or you could go for a sibling group of two boys!!!
Sarah
Love it! What a sweet sweet post!
I have three sisters and I CANNOT imagine my life without them. My husband was "put on notice" when we started talking about baby number three that I'd be fine with another boy and *maybe* we could be done then, but if we got a girl that she would HAVE to have a sister. Even now, stuck where I am in adoption limbo, I think about going back for her sister... :)
I understand your feelings about sisters. I have felt similarly defensive b/c I am on the sibling list, but for girls only. I love boys-, I just know how wonderful it would be for my little Ethiopian daughter to have a sister, for all the reasons you mentioned. My sister and I are very close. That is why I am really hoping for that sibling referal !
I can feel the love! I don't think I realized your girls are just 15 months apart. It will be great for them to walk through life's moments with a sibling that close who understands.
Oh I sure hope you are right!!!!
such a sweet post. sisters are the best!
amen & amen! God made your family PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!
love & hugs,
melissa
I'm with you! I have three sisters, and can't imagine growing up without sisters. My husband and I decided that if we got a boy/girl referral this time around, we would definitely request a girl next time. The sister bond is unlike any other! :)
Sarah, ummm, yeah, that would be the plan. Well, I guess we'd go on both lists, boy and siblings (requesting at least one boy). Of course, we'll wait a little while as we do want to adopt an older child or children next time.
Milreb, yep... just 15 months! I surely didn't plan on that, but it is awesome.
Post a Comment