Photobucket

Friday, April 16, 2010

Pet Peeves and Job Update

I'm, umm, particular about language. I'm not going to necessarily go around correcting everyone, but let's face it. I'm an English teacher by trade and for quite a while, I was paid to grade/correct my students' writing. I love the English language and the art of speaking and writing it.

With that said, here are two language things that drive me INSANE:
1. Pronouncing the word "important" as "in-poor-dant." I heard it pronounced that way in a commercial on the radio as I drove to work this morning.
2. Pronouncing the word "laptop" as "lab-top." Many students in my district say it that way. Heck, even a teacher who was born and raised in this district says it that way.

On the job front, I have an interview next Thursday for that position I posted about several weeks ago. It seems like "they" already have their pick, and it is not me. Honestly, though, I think that's ok. I'm fine with being a coach (it's amazing how much nicer work is now that my child isn't 7,000+ miles away from me; more on that some other post), and this other position in the curriculum office would be an 11 month contract instead of a 9 month one. While this has some advantages, it is a big sticking point for me. I don't know if I want to give up that much time with my girls for the sake of a job.

On the other hand, more months working would mean more income, which would mean more money saved for our next adoption!

Thoughts, y'all? On pet peeves or the job?

Cute pictures of the girls will be posted soon. I know that's why most of you visit the blog anyway, right!?!

5 comments:

annieglan said...

My biggest pet peeve is when people say "I could care less." Which implies you could care. If you honestly don't care then the statement should be, "I couldn't care less". AHHH that drives me nuts. (But I am not an English pro, and my spelling is horrible). haahh I can't wait for you to bring home your boys, and I hope it takes you a while to save :)

Chrissy said...

I don't like it when people say "quote" instead of "quotation". "Quote" is a verb... "Quotation" is a noun. It bugs me all the time. My Honors English teacher harped on that one all the time and even 15 years later, it makes me cringe! I also dislike "suppos-ably" It's supposedly. Glad I am not the only one!! ;)

Melissa said...

Ha! Honestly, I wasn't sure if the word was "laptop" or "labtop" until not that long ago, so I know I say both interchangeably. "Laptop" honestly just doesn't float off my tongue very well! Sorry! Language pet peeves? "It's broke," "Ain't," "I seen (insert noun)." For God's sake, it's broken and you SAW it! More than spoken language, though, I'm particular about written language. Improper use of apostrophes and stuff like your, you're...to, too, two...there, their, they're...AUGH!! People's facebook posts drives me INSANE sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Good Evening! I recently stumbled upon your blog while researching adoption topics, what a wonderful discovery. I have started a new phase in my adoptee process and would love your support and words of wisdom. I am new to the international adoption reunification process and have reached out to the world wide web for guidance.

I can be located at http://jessicaforeign.blogspot.com/, this is a new journey and a wonderful time in my life to explore. Please join me!

Mary Brock said...

After reading another one of your recent posts Molly, my only advice for your upcoming interview is this:

Right before you go into the interview room, stop, take a deep breath, and check to see if your fly is open!

Good luck on the interview ;0)

Love Ya,
Mary