Photobucket

Sunday, April 11, 2010

My Kids


Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself what an absolute miracle it is that I am the mother of two beautiful children.

Like for example, when R tries to unlock the front door and run out of the house without permission and then has a meltdown when I don't allow her to do so and put her in timeout.

Or when E, while sleeping, pees out her diaper all over my shirt and jeans while I'm stuck talking to our very nice but very chatty and oblivious neighbor.

Umm, awesome.

And then, I think about how much my heart longed to be a mother. And how much my heart ached to hold them tight when they were in Ethiopia and we were waiting. I think about the miracle of two small girls, born in Ethiopia to two other woman, now my daughters and greatest gifts.

I sometimes get really frustrated with R. She's stubborn, and so am I. When this happens lately, I stop what we're doing, and I say, "R, how old are you?" And she says, "Twwwwoooo!" in the cutest voice I've ever heard.

Or, I look up from clearing the table and my E smiles her silly girl smile and says, "Cheese!" I forgive her for dropping her full cup of water on my broken toe. (Oh, yeah, I broke my toe falling down the stairs on Easter morning.)

I'm a mom. I'm nothing great and have done nothing special. I'm just trying to do the best I can for them. Sometimes, I get impatient, sometimes I yell, and sometimes I just want to cry, too.

But at the end of day, when I am putting them to bed, I tell them over and over again that I love them, that I'm so happy that their daddy and I adopted them, that they are beautiful and amazing and sweet and funny little girls.

And I know that despite my flaws, I was meant to be their mom. In that, I find comfort.

9 comments:

annieglan said...

This is so beautiful! You are one lucky lady to have two cute girls. :)

Missy said...

Well said! Motherhood is great!!!

Kristi J said...

beautifully said :)

missy said...

L.O.V.E this post! what a privilege we have to be called "mommy", peed on and all.

Arena Mom said...

Great post! We have t hose giraffe shirts too!

Oh yea, mayna pulled that one yesterday for the fist time. I heard her sweet little voice coming from somewhere outside...while I was upstairs inside! Didn't know she woudl try that one, but do now!

The B Family said...

Love this.

missy said...

the only info i have about the art show where they got the keychain is the website africanwoodsmoke.com, but the keychain isn't on there. i am not sure how else to find one, but if i figure it out, i will let you know. i love mine!

the andersens said...

oh moll....love this post. love your heart for your girls. hugs my friend.

melissa

Sparkz said...

By the way I love the way you do your girls' hair! I have a question about hair...

Nataga will sleep and get fuzz in his hair and even w/de-tangler we cannot seem to get the fuzz out without hurting him. We use a special shampoo and conditioner also a wide comb. That seems to help soften it but it seems like that isn't helping any more since is hair is longer. I have wanted him to grow it out more but am thinking of shaving it since it is seeming impossible. Then I remembered girls DON'T cut their hair. There has to be a good solution! Any ideas? Suggestions, etc?