Photobucket

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Can't Blend into a Crowd Anymore

Last night, A and I took R to this new outdoor mall near our home. We had dinner at a sandwich shop and then took a walk around since it was such a nice night (and maybe because Gymboree and Children's Place were BOTH having a sale... I'm just saying!).



The problem with going out in public with R is that she is just so adorable. I mean, look at this beautiful baby:

I mean seriously, she is ridiculously cute!




And of course, we have the added bonus of being white parents with a black daughter. So people stare even more. (When I am out by myself, people often assume that A is black.)



Don't get me wrong. I don't count it as a successful outing unless at least one person comments on how cute/pretty she is. It has sort of become a game for A and me.

The problem is that A and I are not the type of people who crave strangers' attention. We enjoyed the days of going this same outdoor mall pre-R and walking around with virtually no one noticing us.


So, how do we deal with this as R gets older? I just worry about it already. We also have had the experience of people being surprised when they look at our family and/or reacting negatively to the fact that we are a transracial family. I was sort of prepared for this going into our adoption, but it is hard to deal with when it knocks you in the face for the first time.

No comments: