When M called me one day out of the blue and told me she had just taken a pregnancy test and was pregnant with N, I was thrilled but a little sad at the same time. You see, we were planning to have babies (finally) at the same time, but A and I weren't there yet. Little did we know what the whole plan for our family was! M got pregnant with N in Mar., and R's birthmother with R in Feb. So when we decided to adopt and eventually received our referral, it was about 2 weeks before N was born in Dec. 2007. M and I were so thrilled to have babies at the same time!
When I went back to work for the last 5 weeks or so of school, M watched R for me. It was wonderful to have someone I trusted absolutely and completely with my daughter when I couldn't be. During that time, too, R and N were able to really get to know each other, too, which is good if they are going to be BFFs like their mommies are.
In our friendship, M has always been the daredevil and me the faithful follower. This has gotten me into trouble here and there, but it's always been worth it. As our daughters' personalities begin to develop, we have the feeling the roles will be reversed. Like M said about R: She's the type of child you'll suddenly look around, realize she's not right there like she was 5 seconds ago, say to yourself, "Where's R?" and will find on top of the refrigerator! On the other hand, N is quiet, calm, and just a doll. She loves to just look at R when she's throwing and fit and smile and laugh. She's probably thinking, "What is the drama now?"
In the end, R and N have 11 years up on their moms to be friends... and girls, it's worth every minute. Enjoy the late night slumber parties, the "code" names, the W.B. scandals, the silly fights, the boy dramas, singing as loud as you can to your favorite songs, growing up into "real people," and knowing you have each other to lean on when things get tough and your moms just don't get it.
Love you, M! :)







1 comment:
ok, you're going to make me cry! Yes, I hope they are BFFs just like us! They can put us in the same nursing home and when they come to visit us, they can sit and chat over coffee while they have us sitting and staring at the fish tank, drooling. If I can still talk, I'll dare you to steal the nurse's keys so we can sneak out at night and throw other residents' personal care products into the pond out back!
Post a Comment