(I'll respond to my getting "tagged" and more about the baby book probably tomorrow. Other stuff on my mind tonight.)
History.
We all have one.
In the case of my two daughters, they have a common history. They are (or will be) adopted. They are from Ethiopia. They have A and me for parents. They are Ethiopian Americans being raised by white parents. Etc.
However, how my girls come to our family is different. In R's case, she was referred to us at 3 weeks and home with us when she was little over 3 months old. Most of the time, when I think of her history, it is with us. All but 3 weeks of her life, I knew she existed and loved her. Even though we weren't together her entire life, her history includes her momma's love almost immediately.
E, on the other hand, her history's different. Depending on when we pass court and travel (I'm hoping for around Christmastime but am not holding my breath), she'll be close to a year old. A year of her life that I will know almost nothing about. And her history is... well, without going into detail you and I both know I can't share, her story involves more loss and grief than R's does.
I have three pictures of E. Three. That's it. I've never held her in my arms, kissed her sweet cheeks, or sung her to sleep. But in one of the pictures especially, this momma sees a scared little girl. A sad little girl. In all three, I see MY little girl.
My little girl who has dealt with loss. Uncertainty. Grief. Pain. Sadness.
So, my questions for you are these:
How do you cope with your children's histories? How do you come to terms with that time when you and your child were/are apart?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I didn't get LL until she was 7 months old...I try and celebrate the time she had with her birth mom..I pictue how much she loved her and probably wanted to keep her, but couldn't...The time I lost with her has been made up very quickly...:) kj
Hello! My little girl came home (from GT) at over 13 months. We had PI issues for sure, but those faded and I almost forgot about the time she spent without me. Then someone on Facebook found me who happened to have pix of my daughter in her orphanage I had never seen (very random that she found me as I did not know her). They wre not the happy pix the agency sent me. They wre the real life orphanage pix...broken crib, shoved up against other cribs, hollow eyes, fear look, tattered clothes. It broke my heart and I will never forget that her life before coming home will f orever leave a handprint on her heart. I can't replace that, but I can help her heal.
i have stuff to say about this but don't have time right now. just wanted to let you know i'm coming back later :)
Hi! My husband and I are about to apply with AGCI's ET program. I have tried contacting 5 different names on the reference list but have not heard back from anyone yet. If you have time, I would love to ask you about your experience. My email is betsyandchad@mail.com
Thanks!
Post a Comment