A student I had last year (my favorite one, actually-- yes of course I have favorites!) emailed me a few days ago. She's a 9th grader now, finding her way through her first quarter.
Last year, one student from each of the 5 teams in the building was responsible for writing and giving a speech to the student body at the awards assembly. The rest of the teachers and I picked this student to write and give the speech. She wrote something perfect (I knew she would) and very begrudgingly agreed to give it, too. She was nervous and scared.
She did an amazing job.
I was so proud of her.
She thought she messed up. I guess she stumbled over a word or 2 in the beginning of the speech, which I honestly did not notice.
She was so upset and probably mad at me because I pushed her to do it in the first place. She thought she did horrible and left the gym in tears as soon as she was finished speaking.
The email I received from her this week THANKED me for making her give the speech.
It's things like that that make doing what I do every day worth it. (And make me miss being in the classroom now that I'm not-- a subject for another post.)
Friday, September 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
oh, i loved being a teacher back in the day...What a great day to have a student come back and thank you..way to go :) love your new pic up top, kj
That is really neat!
Post a Comment