My district posted an opening for a newly-created "Instructional Coach" position this past week. The application and letter of interest are due to HR tomorrow. I intend to apply. I have always known that I will not be in the classroom forever, no matter how much I do love my job and enjoy working with students. This job would be more of a support role for teachers-- best practices, looking at data to make improvements, offering professional development. These are all things I think I would be more than qualified to do and would enjoy.
I'm going to list some pros and cons below. Any insights you may have are appreciated!
Pros:
1. A step toward a job I would really like to have in curriculum.
2. Something different, a new challenge.
3. Does not require an additional degree (I am going to start working on my admin. license however).
4. Would (most likely) involve less work for me to do in the evenings at home-- more time with my child(ren). This is something I have struggled to balance since R has been home. I'm sure that guilt/feeling of ineffectiveness I feel will only increase with the addition of our second child.
5. A way to get my foot in the door for what I see as the future for my career in education.
6. Pressure of state testing will not be directly on me, which is a huge thing for me right now as our scores in 8th grade LA dropped over 10 percentage points this year.
Cons:
1. Position is currently only for 2 years (created through stimulus funding) with the possibility for it to continue after that depending on funding. However, I would retain seniority in the district and would be guaranteed a job if my position would be cut (not necessarily in my building-- could be the HS, which I would hate).
2. Would most likely have to give up the job of chair of my department, something I truly love.
3. Would missing teaching terribly, I'm sure.
4. Involves working in 2 buildings, my current one and the 5-6 building.
5. What do I know about best practices for teaching math?
6. At some point (God-willing) this school year, we will be traveling to bring our second daughter home. What would the impact on my position be if I am out for 8 weeks (maybe more)? I always planned to stop teaching and move into a job in curriculum once my kids were older. This is definitely way before that time frame I had in my head.
7. My dad advised me not to take it (former superintendent, retired now).
8. I'm good at teaching. What if I suck at this?
I'm sure I could add more to each list if I really thought about it. My friends M and H are both really encouraging me to take the position if offered, which I feel there is a good chance will happen.
Last night, I was convinced if offered the job, I would take it. This morning, I feel more like it would be a really bad idea. I've spoken with the HR person in charge of filling the position. She said that 4 people (including me) have applied for the position and all are good candidates. Ultimately, it will come down to who the principals for the 2 buildings think would be the best fit. The principal at the 5-6 building was my principal for 3 years, and he and my current one seem to have confidence in my abilities. I spoke directly to my current principal about the position on Thursday, and he said I would be excellent in that job.
I guess when it comes down to it, I really need your prayers and good thoughts that the right choice will come to me, if there is a choice at all in the end.
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I am a Special Education Teacher as well!! I think you should take the job if offered. It will be great experience for your Admin. experience too and show your flexibility. I'm not sure how it is where you live, but here I think there is a permanent posting for Sp. Ed. teachers. You could always go back into a similar job! More time at night with the kiddos sounds good too! I do understand the two building thing though...but if you are not carrying curriculum and materials to teach the kids with, you'll be fine. I used to need something from the opposite building all of the time...but it was a "hands on" with students postion. Good luck in your decision. Change can be hard.
Post a Comment