Photobucket

Sunday, October 26, 2008

I'm Totally An Ethiopian Chef

(I made this!)

Ok, so that's not entirely true, but I did help make Ethiopian food today! And I feel like I could probably make a lot of what we made, too. So cool.

We are in a group for other Ethio-families in our area, and one of the families knows an amazing Ethiopian woman named F. F just personifies everything I know of Ethiopians. The kindness, the happiness, the smiles and cheerfulness. The woman cooked all afternoon with us and helped us to learn how to make it for our own families, too, and was nothing but gracious and kind the whole time. She insisted on not taking any of the feast home or any of the injera she brought. She didn't want us to pay her for the groceries or anything. (Of course we did.) About 15 minutes after meeting a lot of us, she was saying that she wanted to have us all over to her house some time to have an Ethiopian breakfast. I just loved her!

I arrived there at 1:30 and was thinking I'd probably be home around 3:30... at 6:30, however, I was finally on my way home. Originally, we were supposed to make only one meat dish and one veggie dish... we ended up making:

1. Tibs
2. Siga Wat
3. Lamb
4. Spicey Lentils
5. Regular Lentils
6. Ethiopian Spinach
7. Cabbage with Potatoes
8. Shiro
9. Carrots, Green Beans, and Potatoes

And we made enough for all 6 women who showed up to have plenty to take home to their families. It was so awesome! And it really did taste great. We made it a bit milder than usual, but it was still absolutely amazing.

Not only that, but it was so nice to be with other Ethio-moms... We are planning to do a culture camp next summer in our state and are talking about starting a "Moms only" type of group. I'm all for that!

Here's a cute picture of my darling Ethiopian Princess, just for the heck of it. Gosh, I love that baby girl!

6 comments:

Julie said...

Amazing! My mouth is watering!

The Gresham Clan said...

That is AWESOME - I'm jealous :)!! Can I have the regular lentils recipe? I can't find a good one... R is adorable as usual!!!

Melissa said...

That is so awesome that you are able to get to know all these people and really feel like you have a connection to R's people (other than R herself, of course). It will be awesome for her when she gets older to know so many other families like hers!

los cazadores said...

Your daughter is beautiful... Sounds like you have some great Ethio connections... the food looks totally scrumptious. :)

Cindy

J-momma said...

hi. i found this awesome awesome article that you and other ethiopian adoptive families might be interested in. i found it in a magazine called "teaching tolerance" and the article is called "i didn't know there are cities in africa". it's about how the information we are teaching our children about africa is feeding into negative stereotypes towards african americans in this country. here's the link.

http://www.tolerance.org/teach/magazine/features.jsp

Michael and Michelle said...

The Ethiopian food looks GREAT!
Thank you for your prayer!!!

Michelle