Photobucket

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Tomorrow, I have the day off work. Glorious. Couldn't come at a better time. It's nearly the end of the quarter, we haven't had a day off since Labor Day, and my students have been nutso this week. On top of that, the other week, I asked A if we could visit my sweet cousin, C, who is a sophomore at my alma mater.

My college experience was a wonderful one. I LOVED school, even after I met A and lived 3 hours away from him for 3 years.

And in the fall, it is the most beautiful place in the world. I first set foot on campus on a beautiful, sunny, and crisp fall day my senior year of HS (do you remember that, M?). My father and uncle (mom's brother) had both gone there. As soon I as I stepped onto the brick sidewalk and gazed up at the rolling hills and brilliant leaves, I was sold.

I was home.

And tomorrow, I get to go back. I haven't seen the campus in the fall since about 2000, and I've missed it. Can't wait.

I'm going to photograph my baby on college green, among the brick sidewalks and autumn leaves.

I'm going to breathe the chilly fall air as I walk up the step of the English building, where I spent a lot of time.

I'm going to savor the taste of a burrito from the Burrito Buggy and once again marvel that something made by a hippie in a buggy uptown can be the most delicious thing in the world. (Don't worry, M, I am bringing some home for you.)

I'm going to visit my cousin's dorm room and wonder how I ever lived in a dorm for two years.

I'm going to go to the College Bookstore and buy a shirt, maybe something for the baby, too.

I'm going to open the door to the library and inhale the smell of books. (Love that smell.)

I'm going to drive past all the places I lived and see how they are the just the same.

And, I'm going to remember my college years.

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't a perfect time, but it was a time in my life that helped to shape who I am today. I met friends I will have for a lifetime and grew from a scared 18 year old who had no clue what to do with her life to a first year teacher.

Catch ya when I get back. Go Bobcats!

2 comments:

J-momma said...

good luck! by the way, i tagged you on my blog for 7 random things about yourself. check out my blog to see how it works. you don't have to do though if you don't want to. it's just something to post about.

Melissa said...

Yes, I remember that day. I, too, was sold. I still feel a bit of emptiness when I think about the place because I'm sad that I never finished up there. I still feel like it was something that I was "supposed" to accomplish, but never did. Obviously, I can't go back (don't think hubby and kiddos would appreciate moving three hours away), but I still have this sense of unfinished business. Although my life was a train-wreck at the time, I loved it there! Have fun and I'll be waiting on my burritos!