Photobucket

Thursday, July 24, 2008

To The North Woods We Go!

We leave tomorrow for the slower-paced Wisconsin North Woods. My grandmother's family is from there, and my mom and her family used to spend weeks at a time up there in the summer at her family's property. We will be near there, but the property was sold a few years ago so we won't be staying there.

When I was a kid, I hated going to Wisconsin. "Trees, trees, trees! That's all there is!" I would say. And, oh, did I mention there are bears in the woods? I used to be deathly afraid that while hiking a bear would come barreling out of the woods and attack me. I have never actually seen a bear up there in all the times I've been. Deer, yes tons of them, but no bears. I think my fear of bears added to my unwillingness to enjoy being there.

But, in the end, it is in my blood to love the North Woods, and now I do. I look forward to going and relaxing and spending time with my family. (My parents, a brother, and an aunt will also be there.) Most of all, I am looking forward to R's first North Woods experience!

I hope to return on Aug. 3 relaxed, rested, and ready to prepare for the fast-approaching school year and the end of summer.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Wave Hi to my folks in Eagle River! Have fun! I miss it, bears and all!

The Gresham Clan said...

I hope you're having a blast and enjoying the woods (we totally live in the woods and love it :) ). Looking forward to hearing how it went!

Kristin