Photobucket

Monday, July 7, 2008

Time With Friends

First of all, as I write this post, I don't want you to think my husband is selfish or unconcerned with my feelings or needs...

The thing is, since the baby came home in Feb. I've only done something with friends once (scrapbooking with a girl I teach with), and that was in April right before I went back to school. A, on the other hand, goes and golfs, hangs out, whatever with a few of his friends at least 2 times a week. Now I understand it is different with moms with kids (especially since A's good buddy is like 35 and single and I think resents the fact that the baby takes away from guy time) than it is with dads. I also know that my husband is the type who needs to have some time away to relax in order to be a better daddy to my girl. So for my own sanity I gladly send him out to recharge and spend time doing his hobbies.

It's just that I NEED A BREAK. I love my daughter and my husband, but I need some time with my friends, too. Time WITHOUT kids. NOT a play date, as fun as that may be. So, thankfully, finally, I am getting that. Wednesday, my friend M and other newly-divorced friend L are going out to dinner. It is pathetic how giddy I am about this.

Being a wife and mom is obviously a huge part of who I am. But sometimes that means losing some of my own personal identity. You know, some balance would be nice. The girls I'm going out with on Wed., one I've been friends with since I was 5, the other since I was 11. We grew up together and who knows me more than they do?

No comments: