Photobucket

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ethio-Families Picnic

(This picture has nothing to do with this post. Just thought it was a cute one of R with her Nana!)

Today, A, baby girl, and I are going to a get together for families with Ethiopian kids. I am part of a listserv for area families with Ethiopian kids, and the people who are going to be there are from this group. We haven't been there before, so I'm a little nervous about it but excited, too. I am not one to just show up somewhere to socialize with people I don't know normally. This is different, though, and luckily, A is able to adjust his work schedule to attend, too. I have been talking to a couple of the families via email for a few months now so that is at least something.

It'll just be nice to be around other families who "look" like mine does. I feel this is really important for R as well as for A and me as her parents. Normally, this is not an issue for me at all, but every once in a while, it does sadden me that my beautiful little girl is always going to be different from my friends' kids, from kids at school, etc. These are all challenges of transracial (and international) adoption and why building a community with these other Ethio-families is so important.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Sounds like fun and it will be cool for R as she grows!