Photobucket

Friday, August 13, 2010

I mean, seriously, judgemental much?

Ok, so R had her first real dentist appointment yesterday. The hygienist is a fellow adoptive mom. She has two teenage AA girls, and we chatted nicely about our girls' hair and beads and braids-- benign stuff like that.

Then somehow the conversation turned to where my girls are from. Ethiopia... And her attitude (as well as her expression) changed. She said, "yeah, I know some people don't like open adoptions and you don't have to worry about that with international... And my husband and I just saw that there are so many kids HERE who need homes..." She said more along the same lines, but I can't remember it all.

At first I didn't fully understand what she was saying because our conversation had just taken a startling turn. I wasn't expecting her to react in that fashion, not one bit.

I mean, seriously, judgemental much?

I would like to state something for the record and for this woman, too, although I know she'll never read this. I would give anything to be able to regularly email my girls' birthmothers/birthfamilies, send them pictures and letters, invite them to my girls' birthday parties. The fact that we have zero contact with our girls' birthfamilies is something I struggle with. I did NOT adopt from Ethiopia so I could have a "closed" adoption. As I have said before, I adopted from Ethiopia because that is where my girls were.

Meaning, it is no accident. I cannot even begin to describe to you the peace I felt the day we decided to adopt from Ethiopia. It was one of the most RIGHT decisions I have ever made in my life. Did we consider domestic adoption? Yes, we did, briefly. There are multiple reasons why domestic adoption wasn't for US, which does not mean that is not for other people.

I know cases in which domestic adoption was/is the absolute most perfect and right decision for families. And I harbor NO judgement for people who adopt domestically. In fact, I think they are amazing. But I think people who adopt from ANYWHERE are amazing, so there. International adoption was the right decision for us. Just like for my BF, having bio children was the right decision. Or so many families I know, the right decision is a blend of the two. Families are grown in so many different ways, and I don't think one way is superior to another.

Yes, there ARE kids "here." But there are kids all over the world who need homes. When it comes down to it, does it matter? Who cares if you have to drive 2 hours in the car to bring your daughter home or fly halfway across the world to do it? There is a need for children to be adopted domestically-- of course-- but there is also a need for children to be adopted internationally.

Ok, so my point? Get to it, right?

My point is that I didn't expect a fellow adoptive mom to be so judgemental about our adoption plan. I know that there are plenty of people who do not understand international adoption, and I just simply hadn't encountered a hostile reaction to our adoptions from someone else who'd adopted.

This woman doesn't know me. She doesn't know my heart. She doesn't know how I lie awake in the night sometimes trying to picture what E's first 8 months with her birthfamily were like. Trying to picture the sound of her birthmom's voice... Or wondering if R's feet are like her birthmother's or her birthfather's. She doesn't know what led my husband and me to adopt or to select Ethiopia as the place our family would grow from. I wonder if R's birthmom knows that my agency's transitional home has moved and if she has the photo book I made and carried to Ethiopia for her. There are so many unknowns, shadows that haunt me. This woman, she knows nothing about any of that.

And she sure as heck doesn't know God's plan for MY family.

9 comments:

Sha Zam- said...

I don't get it either. But I've heard it from many people. I expect it from non adoptive families but... I don't get the anamosity with domestic adoptive families. I don't understand why any adoptive family wouldn't be overboard supportive of another family given the known pain and isolation that all families are subject to time and again. If you ever find out. Post again!

annieglan said...

Amen!! A child in need is a child in need. If you have the heart to expand your family then nobody should say a thing.

April Blair said...

Thank you for the post. My husband and I are in the process of adopting from Ethiopia as well. We have been surprised by some comments we have already received.

Some people feel they are obligated to adopt "our own." I don't think there is anything wrong with that. There are children here who need good homes. I applaud them.

We have pondered our motivations for adopting from Ethiopia. Bottom line, it feels right for us too. But I recognize that my motivation has nothing to do with my feeling about "nationalism." As we considered domestic vs. international, our hearts went out to children abroad who had little chance of leaving orphanages, getting proper love/care, having clean drinking water, having opportunities for education, etc. As we considered those factors, we didn't see divisions of national borders. Nor which flag we salute.

I admire you. It is too bad that there are people in the world who are so closed minded. Even though you come across people like that, I'm sure your decision to adopt from Ethiopia is opening other people's minds. Probably more people than you realize.

Best wishes,

April Blair
therealblairfamily.com

Melissa said...

I don't understand either. Obviously, I've never adopted, but I don't see how adopting from the US vs. Ethiopia is any different than adopting from Ohio vs. North Carolina. I mean, obviously there are differences, but children are children, right? International boarders are just something imposed by governments, not by God.

mama becca said...

yeah, i just don't get it. a child is a child is a child. if a child needs a home, God uses different people from different places to adopt them and make them a part of a beautiful family. every story is uniquely woven. why judge one another?? oh well. hopefully she'll reflect on what she said and realize how silly it all sounds when you see the big picture.
sigh.

Kristin said...

Wow, I'm sorry you had to go through that. My husband and I are going through the process of waiting for a birthmom to choose us for a domestic adoption. Sometimes I feel like the opposite of this woman. Sometimes I feel badly for adopting "here" when "here" "we" take care of our orphans with gov't and private programs where as in countries like ET they can't do for the orphans like we can. But knowing that God is in complete control should alleveiate the "guilt" or wondering on our parts and others who judge. It's not our choice anyways, it's His. Hello...

Betsy said...

Amen! I've had to explain this, mostly to the "older" generation... but it the idea that one is superior to the other is baffling to me- it is valuing one child's life over anothers simply b/c of where they live!

wildflowers said...

sometimes it seems as if some are missing that logical/rational part of thinking or even a filter to rethink before talking. and, it is a bit offensive when someone pushes their opinions. and i agree, we are drawn to ETH. plain and simple. because . and domestically, well their if foster care and well run facilities. internationally there just is not the same care, not even close.

a child is a child. they all need families. so those who choose to adopt are helping no matter what. build family. build love and a home together.

Unknown said...

Good post to get me thinking how to respond to similar comments to me. Sorry you had to to hear this from another adoptive mom though.

I came across your blog from someone else's blog--so happy for you! Hey, you might want to come check out a new Christian adoption website www.wearegraftedin.com -- there is a room on the forum dedicated to Ethiopian adoptions. Come and join in and get the discussion rolling in there. Hope it becomes a place of mutual encouragement and helpfulness!
Kelly