Photobucket

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Social Anxiety

(R in beads and braids in the post below if you didn't see it yet.)

Sigh. We are supposed to go to a birthday party for one of children of E's travel group on Saturday. I was really looking forward to it when we first got the invitation for it. As the date gets closer (Saturday), I am more and more anxious and nervous about it.

When we found out while in ET that there were 2 families who lived fairly close to us, we were excited!! It was nice to have them just an hour or so away.

This couple was (were?, help me out, M!) super nice to us in Ethiopia. We enjoyed talking with them and getting to know them. I looked forward to visiting with them when we came home. Now it has been 5 1/2 months, and we haven't gotten together with them once.

However, they're both doctors, and I can only imagine what their house looks like. I'm sure it is in a whole different league than ours... And going to something in which I don't know anyone except the host is stressful for me. My hair's looking awful (needed a haircut at least weeks ago by now), and what in the world do I wear? And I never know what A is going to say in social situations like this.

So, I don't know if we'll actually go or not at this point.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like the story of my life. I am getting worse and worse about avoiding social situations because I feel inadequate compared to well...everyone. Which is why I have no friends except for you. Go and have fun. They have no idea what your house looks like and I envy your wardrobe and how "pulled together" you always look, BTW. You'll be fine!

Anonymous said...

I will never be the woman who can wear white and not spill something on it. I will never have hair that looks perfectly brushed or a nail that is not broken. I will never stand out in a room full of gorgeous women, but to my children I will always be the most important and most beautiful woman in the room.

titushome said...

I so know what you mean!!! Been there!! :) I have come to realize that everyone just focuses on the kids anyway, so as long as they are as cute and adorable as ever nothing else matters too much. :) We had some donations to send to ET and met up with a couple non-AGCI families recently to pass them off. They were lawyers and doctors and strangely enough real people just like us - I was still kind of nervous, but had fun anyway!

BTW - Abigail has taken to announcing "I need to go pee" at the top of her voice in any and every public place (think middle of the preaching at church). She is such a riot.

Sarah

Ron & Maria said...

GO! AND HAVE FUN!
I think a lot of us share the same feelings! I love looking forward to outings, and special events and then when it comes time - I want to back out.....

do the 10, 10, 10

what will you feel like 10 minutes into it? (maybe awkward)
what will you feel like 10 months later? (probably happy you extended yourself for your daughters)
what will you feel like 10 years from now? (You're hair? no one will remember but the relationships could be speical or maybe not... can't tell if you don't go)

Have fun! (and just pretend you're loving the whole thing!)
Maria

The B Family said...

What Maria said!

I do hope you go. I know who you're talking about and yes, they're very successful and probably have a nice house and lots of fancy "stuff" but they didn't come across as hoity-toity at all and my guess is that most of their family and friends are probably just real, ordinary people. I don't think she would've invited you if she thought you'd feel out of place or intimidated. Just go and be you and don't put pressure on yourself by making comparisons or feeling like you have to impress anyone. Easier said than done, I know, but your unique connection to their family will probably be intriguing to people and make them interested in you and your girls.

I think keeping in touch with other adoptive families, and especially with families of children who were in the same orphanage as babies and have that shared history will be valuable to our ET girls as they get older.

I could be wrong and it could be a miserable experience, but really, it can't be more awkward than that luncheon thing you recently attended or a typical trip to your Panera. So go, Molly!

annieglan said...

Go! I have social anxiety too. But I always calm down when i reach the destination. Plus it will be good for e to keep in contact with someone who was brought home at the same time:) you can do it. You met me out and we never even met . Hahah

Missy said...

Go and have a fun time!! I avoid social settings with my husband's co-workers...I hate small talk and I always end up chasing the littles around anyway. BUT I always wonder how many freindships I have missed out on over the years....

mama becca said...

I hope you go!!!!!
no one cares what you look like, i promise. you share an incredible bond of adoption. wear what you're most comfortable in, put your hair up, and LOVE who you are. you are uniquely you! and no one can judge that, and most likely they'll be sad if you don't go.
have a great time!!!!