Photobucket

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Balancing

I feel like this school year is going to be a balancing act. Honestly, I don't know how I'm going to do it. Struggling.

I'm doing this internship for my admin license on top of everything else... It basically comes to 7.5 hours a week that I have to be doing extra duties, attending meetings, and doing other principal-ly things, whatever that means.

When I was at the orientation meeting last week, I just kept thinking, "But I don't even want to be a principal!!"

I fear I've made a mistake. You see, my passion is curriculum, not administration. My father was offered his first admin job the same day I was born, so he was a principal and then a superintendent all my life until he retired a few years ago. It is hard to be a superintendent's kid, and I am guessing it is hard to be an admin when you have children.

I decided to do this program for a few reasons:
1. Lower cost than other programs I was looking into. This is a huge factor.
2. People told me that if I get this license, I'll be able to do any of the jobs at CO and will have more flexibility than if I just did the straight curriculum and instruction license.
3. I honestly had no idea what I was truly getting into.

I kinda sorta had a little meltdown earlier this week. It was just so overwhelming to try to imagine adding the requirements for this internship to my already-full plate. But, yet, here it is. And I'm just going to muddle my way through it. How, I don't know... but I do know that I don't want to just be starting this a year from now (like if I just would have finished my classes this year and did the internship next year when I finished all the other coursework). I want to be pretty much finished.

One huge weight off my chest is that I figured out what I'm going to do for my massive internship project. It is going to involve the transition to the national Common Core standards so:
1. It is something I would want to be involved with anyway and
2. It is more curriculum-y than principal-y

For now, I would just like to be able to get through the next few weeks without having a panic attack!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Wow... sounds like you have a klot on your plate! This is such a transitional time of the year- I'm sure that you will feel more comfortable soon. In the mean time I like your goal of getting trough the net few weeks without panic- I often share that very same goal!
maggie

titushome said...

Praying for you, friend! ((Hug))