Yesterday, walking down the hall with a smile on her face and a baby carrier in her arms came my favorite. My all time favorite. Miss B. She was an 8th grader in my class my first year in my district. She's now 21. Whoa. An adult. A mommy. A wife. Whoa.
It's funny because kids freeze in my mind at whatever age they were when they were in my class. I can still picture B as she was 8 years ago as a sweet 13 year old girl.
I hadn't seen B in at least a year and a half. Ironically, I'd just found her email address on Wed afternoon and was thinking of her on Thursday all day long. I kept thinking I just needed to email her.
B wasn't my best student (by far!), but she is the one who is my all time favorite. If we'd been the same age, I'm sure we would have been good friends in school.
I was so glad to see her and to meet her daughter, M. B had a huge cancerous tumor about 4 or 5 ago in her uterus, and it is sort of amazing that she was able to have a baby. I remember listening to a voice mail from her mother, fear in her voice, as she explained that B was at the hospital and was having emergency surgery.
But since that time, we've brought R and E home, and life gets busy. I hadn't emailed her in a while, and I didn't know that she was pregnant. Her baby is precious and sweet.
Just like her mom.

1 comment:
That's amazing!!
I wonder if I was anyone's all time favorite student?
Post a Comment