Photobucket

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Eval

Took R to an occupational therapist today for a screening/evaluation for sensory integration disorder. Basically, they acted like I was stupid at first. The OT just didn't seem to think anything was wrong. I don't know. The eval wasn't really based on what I'm concerned with. But the woman threw me off when she asked me all these questions about things that did or did not bother/affect R... I kept saying "no," and then she snapped at me. I talked a little more, and she calmed down and was friendly after that to both R and me, but I was flustered and doubting myself so I didn't even know what to say.

Bottom line is that I know something is off with my sweet girl. I just don't know what. Well, I still think it has to do with sensory integration, just not in the way that she was evaluated today. She is 2 months shy of age 4, and she was scoring at age 5 years 8 months through age six years three months on a lot of the eval. I don't think it is a physical thing that is off-- it is a wiring thing if that makes sense.

I'm frustrated, and I'm not really sure what the next step is. R's doctor said it might take a while to figure it out, so I have to keep that in mind. And that is why we're starting to look into it now-- so that by the time she's school age, we are able to know how to help her and do what she needs for school success, etc.

1 comment:

annieglan said...

What are some of your concerns? I think Elsie has Sensory Processing Disorder. She is working with an OT at school. But I am 90% certain she has it. I have a couple of books I am reading that deal with it.