Photobucket

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Transition

Today's really my last day of summer. I don't technically have to work tomorrow, but I'm going to spend the day preparing my classroom, which is still a completely chaotic mess. I've tried to go in a few days with the girls, but it is hard to get much done with them running around. Anyway, tomorrow they are going to the new sitter's house, as well as on Friday, which is the actual official start back to school workday.

We've been talking about the end of summer for about a week or 2 now with the girls. Today has not been a good one for R (although right now she's napping, thank goodness). She's anxious and acting out and doing things on purpose to push my buttons. After about the 800th thing, I just picked her up and held her. I said, "honey, are you sad that Mommy has to go to work tomorrow?"

With that, the poor dear threw her arms around me and burst into tears. My poor girl! Transition and change is hard on her. One of the first things they told us about her when we were in Ethiopia to bring her home was that she liked routine. Even at 3 months of age, that was very clear immediately. Today, I just held her and told her that I had to return to work even though I didn't want summer to end either. I told her we'd still have plenty of time together each day to do fun things and spend time as a family.

I know she's also nervous about going to the new sitter. Even though she didn't like the old one (and we had some issues with her!) she's been asking if she's going there. I think she'll end up really liking the new sitter, but I also know this next week or two will be difficult as we make the changes.

I know change is always hard on little ones, but fall is an especially hard time of year for R. Each fall she's been home, we've experienced some regression, sadness, and acting out on her part. She also usually starts to have major sleeping issues. Poor baby.

No comments: