Photobucket

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Convo with R

Today I had the girls' pictures taken in 2 of their Ethiopian dresses. I try to do a late summer picture in them yearly. I like to send them to their birthfamilies in their yearly reports required by the ET government as well as in the bi-annual photobooks I send them. I just want the girls' 'Opia families to know that we will never forget their roots.

R today was of course talking about her 'Opia mom on the way home from the pictures. We did a few with a jebanna (ET coffee pot) and coffee cups-- the ET version of a tea party I guess-- a pretend ET Coffee Ceremony with R and E. She was talking about how she thought her birthmom would like the pictures.

Then she said, "Mommy, when I am a 4 girl (meaning, when she's 4), can we go Opia and visit my Opia mom?"

I had to tell her no. I told her that it costs a lot of money to go to Ethiopia and that we couldn't go next year.

In truth, I want to take the girls to ET someday for a visit, but it needs to be when they're older. And, in truth, today's been a really hard day with R-- acting out, tantrums, defiance. She's asleep now, and as I have time to think about our day today, I can't help but wonder if my sweet girl is missing her Opia mom today.

It is so hard to tell sometimes if her behaviors are just typical toddler/that's her personality behaviors or if they are adoption-related.

1 comment:

annieglan said...

I hear that. Not having older bio kids means I haven't lived through Lou's age. I completely agree with not having an idea.