Photobucket

Friday, August 12, 2011

Summer's Over

It is amazing how quickly everything gets into a routine when I return to work. I spent yesterday working in my room, and today was the official workday. The kids come on Tuesday, and we have a day of meetings Monday. I was ready for the weekend today!!

The room's almost ready... I guess the question is, am I? I haven't had my own classroom for 2 years... I feel a little rusty! I found an old file that has my short stories/elements of literature unit, which is how I plan to start the year, and it feels like another person wrote it.

I am also not entirely certain how to teach without integrating it with social studies. My friend H has always been the social studies teacher on my team, and we did lots of co-planning. However, we've been separated, so I'm going to be working with a different social studies teacher. She's fine, but she's only taught 7th grade curriculum, not 8th, so I don't know this will work. Plus, umm, she's not H! It's just really weird.

Moving into my classroom has been killing my left shoulder/arm. I did something to the cartilage in my shoulder years ago, and periodically it'll flare up again. Everything involved with moving has been bad for it. Oral pain meds don't really do anything. For example, the shoulder pain yesterday afternoon was almost unbearable so when I got home I took four ibuprofen (I've never taken that many at one time) and fell asleep. It did absolutely nothing for the pain. I finally had the idea of something topical instead, and A actually had some icy-hot. I put it on, and it actually helped!! I mean, it still hurt, but I no longer felt like I would pass out from pain.

Today, it's hurting pretty badly again, so I need this weekend to recover, and luckily, I don't have any more heavy stuff to move.

And that's that. It's 8:49pm, and I'm exhausted. Early bedtime for me tonight.

1 comment:

annieglan said...

I hope you have a wonderful school year. I hope those kids aren't too rough on you. I know what I was like in 8th grade. You wouldn't have wanted me as a student. haha