Two years ago this evening, we received the phone call from our case manager that we were on the waiting list for a referral of an infant girl at #33. I remember thinking it was going to be an eternity until we got our referral, as 33 sounded like such a "big" number compared to where we started on the waiting list for R (at #4).
We'd waited "so long" to get on the list-- and then there we were. At the time, our agency was saying that the waiting time for a referral was 10-12 months for our parameters. One of my friends had a trip to Ethiopia scheduled for late Oct- early Nov 2009, and I just kept praying that we'd have our referral by then-- by some miracle. In the end, that miracle did happen, as we got our referral on Oct. 19, 2009.
Two years ago today, my E was a tiny 3 month old baby (oh my goodness, I'll bet she was cute-- 3 months old is the age R was when we brought her home!!). I wonder today was her day was like. While our day was one of celebration, was her family getting closer to the decision to relinquish her? I have other thoughts about this, too, but I don't feel comfortable sharing them because it involves specific questions I have about my daughter's story.
As I look back over the 2 years since our referral, I think about how my family has grown and changed. R-baby, 2 years ago today was not quite 18 months old. She was just barely talking, and now, as of a few weeks ago, she can write her name and NEVER stops talking!
Two years ago today, I was about to finish (although I didn't know it at the time) my last year teaching, as a new job came my way over the summer... On the other side of the coin, two years ago we were worried A was going to lose his job based on an (unfair) evaluation from his boss and an ultimatum.
Two years ago today, E was only a dream to us... Who she was to be was completely up to the imagination. And now, she's home. She's worked her way into the fabric of our family and is my adored, precious, darling daughter. And for that, I am so very thankful.
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment