A year ago tomorrow, I was eating lunch around noon my time when I got a call from my friend S who also had court the same day. They'd passed court! I remember crying tears of joy for S and her family and her precious B, my daughter's ET bff. After waiting probably an hour for my case manager to call, I finally called her and asked if she had news for us. That is when she told us that we'd passed.
The next 3 weeks that followed were a whirlwind. We ended up having an embassy appointment on Dec. 28.
A year after passing court, I cannot imagine life without my E. Tonight, though, my heart is heavy for the woman who bore her and the family who loved and cared for her for the first few months of her life, the people who share DNA with my daughter. The ending of their tragedy is the beginning of my happiness. As I have said before, adoption is an amazing gift, but it is born from the greatest of loss.
So tonight, as I lie in bed with my daughter warm and safe in the room next door, my thoughts and prayers will be with the Ethiopian woman who gave up everything for me to be able to be a mother.

No comments:
Post a Comment