Photobucket

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Break!! Vacation!! Christmas!!

All of these things are happening this week. I'm so thankful that I finally gave in at the end of my freshman year of college and decided to declare education as my major. (Also glad that I choose language arts instead of French. Can you imagine??) I love being able to be off work and with my children. It truly is an amazing blessing to be able to automatically have time off to spend holidays with my family.

Speaking of work, there is a new development... The coaching program is changing so the one thing that is certain is that I will NOT be in my current position next year. Two options:
1. Return to the classroom (hopefully 8th grade language arts)
2. Apply and interview for a position that has been created because of Race to the Top funds. It is more a curriculum support position than it is an instructional coaching position so it will be posted to the entire district... No guarantee that I'd get the job so I might just end up with #1 being my only option. Honestly, I don't even know what all is involved in this job. The State still really doesn't know!

I have a meeting with the HR director on Jan. 3 at 1pm, as the curriculum director wants to know what the coaches' intentions are by Jan. 7. A wants me to not even interview for the RttT job and just return to the classroom. He says I was happier as a teacher than I am as coach, and he's probably right. But.... I don't want to be in the classroom my whole career, and, like the coaching position, this other one has the potential to be a stepping stone to another job (one I would want long term).

Regardless, the good news is that I will not be working exclusively in the building I'm in now, which is a relief. The RttT position is working with grades 5-12, and if I would be back in the classroom, my license isn't even for the grade level I work with now so I wouldn't be placed there.

We leave for vacation on Wed. morning for a week. Looking forward to getting away with my whole family! I'm nervous about the plane ride with the girls, as R has been umm, not good lately and E just in the past week has decided "No" is her favorite word. I have to say that it has been a struggle. I feel like I'm just barely staying afloat right now when it comes to the girls.

R was HORRIBLE today at church, and I ended up leaving early. R ran back into the service while E stood in the back of church by herself because I had to run back in after her. Then E fell and cut herself right under the nose and was screaming for me to hold her while I was trying to carry a kicking and screaming R. It was awful and embarrassing and stressful. I had just wanted to spend a Sunday morning at church with my girls, and it ended in disaster. I do not know what to do with R when she is behaving that way. I'm terrified of what the future holds for her. And I'm so frustrated by it. Why is it that I can maintain order and discipline with a classroom of 25+ 8th grade students but cannot manage to control my 3 year old?

I love my girl so much. R was the answer to many a prayer to have a daughter someday. She's an amazing child and is so full of life and goodness. But she will not listen or do what I say without a struggle. It can be something as simple as washing her hands after using the bathroom to something as major as the incident this morning at church. I just want my home to be calm and peaceful. Sometimes I feel so tense that my heart might explode.

2 comments:

annieglan said...

I hear ya. You have to choose your battles. You decide what you can live with. For me it's a messy home. If my girls throw toys all over, I will pick them up when they go to bed. If you fight on everything it will wear you down. If she throws a tantrum just ignore her (I know you can't in church) but when Edie does it was just ignore her. I hope this helps, but you are a great mom. And a lot of people say the 3's are way worse than the 2's/

Melissa said...

I know it sucks, but rest assured it's normal! It doesn't mean that you're doing anything wrong or that she will have a hard life. Trust me, I've seen much worse! And like your friend said, 3 is often harder than 2. I think the first child is also the hardest because we don't always have realistic expectations for each age. I know that is true with me, which is why I always have and probably always will struggle so much with C. Every year with her is always my first time dealing with a daughter at "that age." Augh!