Photobucket

Monday, May 24, 2010

Romance vs. Reality

I feel like sometimes I have an overly-romantic view of Ethiopia. Any of you who have been there or anywhere else in Africa feel that way sometimes? Or even if you haven't been there, do you ever feel that way?

Trust me. Things I saw in Ethiopia changed my life in ways I am not even sure I know yet. But at the same time, I also have a view of the country based on its history and culture and the fact that I am blessed with 2 precious Ethiopian children.

I know that the people of Ethiopia are kind. I know that parents and families love their children and prize them. But I also know that there are children in some parts of Ethiopia who are killed because their top teeth grow in before their bottom teeth.

I know that there are so many people who live on so very much less than I do. I try, in my mind, not to romanticize this by thinking they're all living happier, simpler lives. I'm sure some of them are. But I also know that many many people there and in other parts of Africa do not know where their children's next meal will come from.

And I know that most children who come home to the US from Ethiopia adjust well and are happy. I want to believe that all the orphanages are safe places for children until that happens. But I also know that the reports of abuse (older kids to younger)-- both physical and sexual-- are enough to make me sick.

Ethiopia.

Its beauty haunts me.

But do you know what? Its poverty and sadness haunt me, too.

Lots of jumbled thoughts today. Not even sure if this makes sense...

6 comments:

mama becca said...

makes perfect sense to me... i feel the same.

The B Family said...

I feel that way sometimes. I think a lot of people are in love with a romanticized picture of Ethiopia. I think we want to see, focus on and appreciate all of the good—because there IS so much that is BEAUTIFUL about Ethiopia, and also because we want our children to be proud of that part of their heritage. But having grown up in the south and focused the bulk of my college studies on American history, the stereotypical images of happy, impoverished Africans disturbingly remind me of images of happy, joyful slaves singing on the porches of their shacks that Southern plantation owners pointed to in support of their assertions that their slaves were simple-minded and content. Yes, there are many Ethiopians who live in poverty yet find reason to rejoice, and yes, there is a lot that we can learn from that, but that joy doesn’t equate in contentment with their circumstances. To paint it as a broad generalization does romanticize poverty and gloss over much of the heartbreak, suffering, desperation and agony that is also widespread in Ethiopia and a part of so many of our children's stories. I doubt K's birth family was dancing and singing the day they relinquished her. One only has to spend a small amount of time reading about Ethiopian politics and current events to understand that Ethiopia is not free from corruption and evil and to know that there are many people in Ethiopia who have run out of hope and joy. The romantic images are simpler, easier, not as stressful, convicting, challenging or painful. But perhaps to truly love Ethiopia, you have to see and care about the ugly stuff too; because if you truly love Ethiopia, you want better things for Ethiopia and her people--improvement and healing won’t come if the ugly stuff is brushed under the rug and action isn’t taken.

The B Family said...

Sorry about the essay--I was just typing and rambling along and had no idea my comment was that long until I saw it published!

milreb said...

Right there with you M and Mrs. B. I would love to talk about this more together because I am having a hard time working through it. Beauty for ashes. I cling to this when I think about Ethiopia.

titushome said...

I agree....and have been thinking along similar lines lately. Also wishing we all lived close enough to go out for a 'girl's night out' and chat. :)

the andersens said...

Completely related to everything you said, M....and C too. It is not an exaggeration to say that I think of Ethiopia every day and many of my thoughts are as polar as yours. So, when can we get together to talk? :-) Oh I wish.