Photobucket

Friday, May 7, 2010

Let Me Explain a Little

Thank you to those of you who read my earlier post and commented and/or are praying for me. I truly appreciate kind words and can feel your prayers.

The first 2 years of my career I taught high school and hated it. I almost gave up teaching entirely until by the grace of God, I was hired in my current district, where I've been for 7 years. My original plan was to teach one year, save money, and go back to school to do something else.

However, when I got to my current district, I fell in love with teaching and felt supported at my job. I loved teaching 8th graders; they were the perfect age for me. This year, I took on a new role in my district, that of an instructional coach. This primary purpose of this position is to improve teaching and learning, provide on-site professional development for teachers, and to analyze and use data to help make instructional decisions.

The catch is that I now work in two buildings. I split my time between the building that has been my home for 6 years and another one, one which I haven't felt comfortable in from the beginning this year. But I've tried to do my best.

Anyway, this week I had to give a survey about my performance over the course of the year as well as the coaching program in general. (The other coaches, who all work in their home elementary buildings-- just one building per coach, did the surveys while I was on leave with E.) I passed the surveys out on Tuesday, and on Wednesday, I had some surveys in my box.

And they were not nice. They had mean, nasty, and just plain hurtful comments. For example, "maternity leave?????" was one. Really? You're faulting me for taking time off to have a child? And several other things. I know not all the comments are not personal towards me; people are dissatisfied with both the building principal and the district's curriculum director. However, many of them are, and it is humiliating and embarrassing to think that people think of me that way.

All those insecurities and feeling of inadequacy I felt in my first two years teaching are back. All those things I spent 6 years trying to repress, well, they're all right there at the surface.

I will say not all the surveys were mean and nasty. I did receive several that I feel are fair and that truly do reflect my job performance and give good suggestions for how I can improve and build upon the coaching program for next year.

Also, I found out yesterday that I did not receive that position I interviewed for a couple weeks ago. Honestly, that's ok with me. Although it would have been really nice to escape this building where I feel like everyone hates me, it would have been really difficult to give the time and energy the job requires with two babies at home.

Overall, I am looking forward to the end of the school year and have arranged my schedule so I only have to be in "that" building for 3 1/2 days out of the remaining 15 left before summer break.

Thank you for listening.

8 comments:

Kendra said...

Hi there-you asked how I got to your blog--on the Holt Forum you must have posted pictures for another family who is in Ethiopia right now and the notification was on the Holt Forum. Clear as mud? I'm pretty new to the forum, but it's sure been helpful--raising some issues with me that I needed to deal with--attachment/food issues. I feel like it's just not-so-far-away and I'm feeling happy! Anyway, nice to meet you....by chance! :0)

Kendra

Ron & Maria said...

(((HUGS)))

Oh I feel your pain! I'm in the education business and have an opportunity to apply for a 'coaching' position in 6th grade. My hold back is that people don't embrace coaches. Seriously I think that people lash out and criticize when they should be reflecting on themselves. When my district implements a new initiative the staff goes crazy! They "hate" who ever delivers the initiative - the messenger - and don't even consider the message (that it might be good and right for children!) AHHHH I want to scream for you - but that won't help. I hope you can enjoy your weekend and tell yourself that these people have a lot to learn and that you're going to have thick skin (at least fake that part). Don't let them get to you. please! You're family needs you to be absorbed in them - not silly work! :-)
I wish I could be there for you...
Maria

titushome said...

Bete has a pretty strong little arm....she's offered to come give them all a good whack for saying mean things to her Auntie M. If that doesn't help, she says she'll have her mommy wash their hair and detangle it because that is the WORST torture in the world.....they'll never say a mean thing again.

annieglan said...

I'm sorry :( Some people just don't get it. It will be ok and if not, you can always be a stay at home mom ;)

JonesEthiopia said...

Thank you everyone. I'm feeling much better now that it is the weekend.

Titushome, I'd love for Bete to come and show them a thing or two... :)

Melissa said...

You know, I was thinking pretty much the same thing as Maria the other day. I'm not EXACTLY sure what your job entails, but if it involves giving teachers any "constructive criticism" or suggesting things they need to change, they just might resent anyone in the position to do so.

mama becca said...

hey friend!
i'm behind on reading your blog... OH MY GOSH... I can't believe someone wrote "maternity leave???" as one of the comments. SERIOUSLY??? YES, you HAD A CHILD and you needed to BOND with.
I so wish I lived close to you. I would punch that person in the face. i'm so kind, i know :).
love love love to you!!!!
becca

the andersens said...

((((hugs)))) I'm thinking of you....