Photobucket

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

Today marks 7 years. Where were you? Me, I was in the first few weeks of my teaching career. I remember the day quite clearly. My lesson for seniors that day was a Brit Lit poem... A student came into my 3rd period class yelling, "Miss M, Miss M, someone bombed the Pentagon!" I remember not believing her, thinking she had just heard something wrong. After all, who could possibly attack the Pentagon?

I proceeded with my lesson, but my students begged me to turn the TV on. I did and saw horror I could never possibly believe. The first tower had already collapsed. Suddenly, poetry wasn't important. My students and I watched the coverage in horror. I saw the second tower collapse on live TV, like a lot of Americans did. I watched the news coverage the entire rest of the day and tried to help my high school students deal with what was happening.

I knew no one killed on 9/11, but that doesn't mean I don't mourn them and feel such sadness for their families. I think of the children who will grow up without their mothers and fathers... and all that has happened in these years since then.

The day after 9/11, I drove through the country (I used to work at a HS in a farming community) to work as the sun rose in the sky. The sunrise was a brilliant, bright mix of reds, oranges, yellows, etc. I remember thinking as I gazed at the sky that God was mourning this attack just as our nation was. I can still picture that and remember how I felt...

No comments: