Photobucket

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Like Sisters? No, Really Sisters.


I'm asked sometimes if the girls are like sisters or not. Sisterhood for my girls has been a journey. First, hard and uncertain, with jealousy on R's part and confusion on E's. R didn't like that she wasn't the center of our universe but now had to share it with a tiny stranger. E wasn't quite sure what this big sister thing was all about.

Over the months since E's been home, the girls have become sisters, really and truly. Doesn't matter that they don't share DNA; that's not important. What is important is that they share a family, that they ARE a family.

And tonight, as my girls shared a bag of m&ms (a snack-sized one, don't worry!), rolled around on the floor together, tickled each other, and chased each other back and forth from one end of the house to the other, it struck me that they are really sisters in every sense of the word. And they love each other in a way that no other person on earth can-- as a sister.

I have two brothers, one 14 months younger than me and the other 6 years. My entire life, I wanted a sister. When A and I decided it was time to bring another child home, I knew it had to be R's sister. I have absolutely NOTHING against boys (our next child will most likely be one if things go as planned), but I knew it was important that my girls had each other.

So, please, the question about if they act like sisters... It's irrelevant now. They just... are... sisters.

3 comments:

annieglan said...

Holy cow, R's hair is AWESOME!!!

Kelly said...

My little sisters are three months apart and I love it!! They are the best of buddies, most of the time. Don't you just LOVE the questions that people ask--I try to extend grace!! with a smile!

_ said...

I have three sisters and I couldn't imagine not having them (at least now). I always said that I couldn't have just one girl because a girl needs a sister...