It is not long now (Friday) before my 2-year-old becomes my 3-year-old. This tiny, tiny baby is growing up before my eyes.
(In case you were wondering, she still looks like this when she sleeps.)

(This is the first picture I ever saw of my daughter.)
Tonight as we did our nighttime routine, it struck me how big she looks. My baby-girl R is going to soon be a little girl, and I am going to miss that baby. Little girl R is going to be amazing, this I know, but in different way from Baby R was/is. (I don't want to even think about Teenager R. That's terrifying.)
And, tonight, I wonder if Y is thinking of her birthdaughter, the child she gave life to almost 3 years ago. Does her heart ache for her daughter? If I could sit down with Y one more time, I would tell her how much R is loved, cherished, and adored. I do not know if she regrets her decision, but I would tell her that R is one of my two greatest blessings of my life. I would tell her how spirited our daughter is and how full of love of life and passion she is. I would talk about her strong-will and her ability to draw people to her... As I cannot imagine my life without R, I cannot even imagine how hard Y's decision was. There are no words to describe what it is like to be the mother of an adopted child.
My R, as you spend the last few days as a 2-year-old, please know that you amaze me. I love you dearly.

4 comments:
they grow up WAY too fast!! sweet little pics of R!! happy 3rd birthday!!
So precious! She is adorable!!
Those referral photos really show how they grow at lightening speed. Unbelievable! Happy 3rd Birthday R!
so precious. and yes they grow up way too fast. our oldest is 6 and its crazy...and the part about no words to describe whats its like to be a mother of an adopted child...that is so right on. its hard...Happy 3rd birthday :)
Post a Comment