Homecoming, 6 months ago....
(I do not have many pictures, so sorry.)
The last leg of our journey home was exhausting. We were supposed to be in the DC airport for only a few hours, but due to horrible weather on the east coast and an ice storm at home, we were there until Friday afternoon. (We arrived in DC around 7am local time.)
As we walked through the airport, hardly anyone really noticed us. This was so weird to me because while we were in Ethiopia, we attracted attention everywhere we went. Ethiopians love children, and they really follow the "it takes a village" philosophy. Often, both Ethiopian men and women would take our little one out of our arms and walk around a shop or restaurant, showing her off to others. The "Ethiopian Scoop" was something we grew really used to. Back in the States, we were just another family traveling. I guess, looking back, this was a good thing because of how tired we all were and how sick R was.
As our flight to Atlanta got pushed back further and further, I became nervous. By this point, all I wanted was to get home, sleep in my own bed, and be somewhere familiar. Like I mentioned previously, we did end up being able to change our flight to a direct flight close to home but not the same city. My parents were picking us up and were fine with this; they just wanted us home. I also called my in-laws because they were supposed to meet us at the airport, too.
At one point, A went to get something to drink, leaving R and me to look out the window. Actually, R was sleeping at that time. I was absent-mindedly watching suitcases being loaded into the plane we were originally supposed to be taking to Atlanta. Suddenly, I saw a small red suitcase that looked a lot like mine going up into the plane. Our other 2 suitcases soon followed.
I called A's cell phone and asked him to go the counter to try to get our bags off the plane. They took 2 off, but our 3rd one ended up arriving on our doorstep the following day. One of my biggest fears was that our luggage with all our Ethiopian treasures for R and our family wouldn't make it home. It all did, thank goodness!
As I was talking to A, I caught the attention of a woman sitting across from me. She asked me where I was going, and I told her. As we chatted, I told her we were on our way home from Ethiopia with R. She asked if our family had seen her yet. Nope. Tears came to her eyes and she thanked me for allowing her to be a part of our story.
Finally, it was time to board the plane home. R woke up and was very fussy. At her doctor's appointment a few days later, we would learn that she had an ear infection as well as RSV. Poor baby! Looking back on it and realizing how sick she was, I am amazed how well my poor little baby girl with pretty curls did on this journey home.

R cried the entire take off, flight, and landing, which was about an hour and a half. My poor baby girl had just had enough. Finally, we landed, but it was freezing cold. As we deplaned, I had to carry R down some wet, icy steps and across the tarmac. It was awful because I was afraid I would drop her and that she would get too cold. She was ok, of course, but it was not pleasant.
I immediately called my parents, who were almost to the airport. They were not planning to come in, just pick us up at the entrance so they didn't have to park. As we waited for our luggage, I looked up and saw my mother rushing towards us! How can I describe introducing my mother to my daughter? It was almost surreal... and very emotional. At the moment she saw her, my mother fell in love with R. I know we both were teary-eyed. My mom kept saying how beautiful she was and that she was "so sick." (We did take a picture, but it was with my mom's camera so I don't have it.) Finally, our luggage (except one piece) came out, we did the paperwork to get the missing piece to our house, and we went out to find my dad waiting in the car outside.
We drove home in an ice storm. It was terrifying, but my dad was so calm and got us home safely. I do not remember at all what we talked about in the car. The poor tired princess slept the whole time, and she did well in the car seat, which she had never been in before. When we arrived home, my in-laws were there in the ice and snow to greet us with balloons and smiles.


R is so lucky to have such wonderful grandparents! They all loved her so much right away, and I am so thankful that we live close to all of them so she will be able to grow up surrounded by that love.
Our family did not stay long. A and I were so tired that we collapsed into our bed, along with our miracle of a daughter, at 8pm. After over 28 hours of travel, we were home FOREVER!

No comments:
Post a Comment