Photobucket

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Culture Camp Photos

A few pictures from camp last weekend. Many of the ones I took have other people or their kids in them so I don't feel like I should post them on my blog!

My little family at the Ethiopian dinner. Everyone was dressed in their ET finest! (The dress isn't mine-- borrowed from my ET friend F. A and the girls are wearing their ET clothing we bought in country.)Above and below: R had her hair braided by a few of the ET woman at camp. Boxbraids and loose in the front with corn rows into a ponytail in the back. It looked adorable!

Below: This is E at one of the last stations we did at camp. She looks so cute in this picture and so tired, too. Shortly after this picture, A took her to go take a nap!
On a side note, I want to comment on a couple of the comments left from my last post. I don't want anyone to think I was offended by what the little girl said. Nor did I think she was being judgemental. My point was simply that sometimes it hard to be a "different" family and always stand out. I assure you that I answered the child's question with kindness and know she meant no harm. It gets tiresome to never get a break from being the poster-family for transracial adoption. Sometimes I just want to take my kids to dance class like everyone else and NOT stand out! Especially after a long day and week of work. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about how I handled the situation.

7 comments:

Us4 Cats said...

hi. first of all as to your recent post- you handled the situation just fine. no one knows the exact words to say in those moments. you just go with the flow. you did excellent!!

as for todays post- they are adorable!!! i love the clothes.
they are so sweet. it lloks like you all had a good time :)

by the way-
if you guys like candle Tarts, in Ethiopian colors, please check out our Hometarts fundraiser.


peace!

Sara K. Parker said...

First - I love the hair. So cute! And second, I didn't comment, but I totally *got* what you were saying. I was just writing a post on a similar incident, but ran out of energy and haven't finished it yet. Kid questions are the easier ones to answer. Adult questions get more complicated. I don't mind answering questions, but sometimes I do feel as though people look at us and think we are trying to be noticed. I just wish everyone could see that even though we look different than their family, the love we share with each other is the same.

Sha Zam- said...

I thought you handeled it fine. And from someone living in a lily white state... I TOTALLY get it. Sometimes... it's just exhausting. Being an introvert, doesn't ease the issue either. Even though I knew it would come.. even though I knew it would happen EVERY time we venture out... it doesn't eliviate its exhaustion quotient.

Alison said...

Oh my goodness, these pics are so precious!! Sounds like culture camp was a really neat experience! Wish we had something like that around here!!

milreb said...

I love the family photo of all 4 of you. Beautiful! Don't know how you are able to plan a culture camp on top of working and raising two girls. What is your secret?? :)

Sparkz said...

Looks like a lot of fun! The girls' outfits are awesome!

becca albertson said...

cute pictures!!!
and yes... it's okay to feel tired from "standing out" sometimes. you're just being honest, right?
love love!
b