Photobucket

Friday, March 29, 2013

Opals

The Christmas I was 6, I got an opal ring.  I know it was the last present I opened that Christmas morning... I remember finding the small box under the tree, and I said, "oh, this is small, so it probably isn't that important."  My mom said something like "sometimes good things come in small packages."

She was right.  I opened the box, and, to my surprise, there was a ring inside.  An opal and gold ring.  I instantly loved it.  It was absolutely perfect for me then, completely my taste then (and now, too...).

itThe ring had 6 opals with formed the shape of flowers.  I still have that ring in the jewelry box where I keep jewelry from the past.  Over the years, of course I've had to get it sized as I grew from a small child to a teenager and then an adult.  I put the ring on the other day, and I remembered what it was like to see it for the first time.

Why is this relevant?  Well, Ethiopia is known for its opals along with its coffee.  I don't know...  Of all the rings my mom could have possibly found for me for when I was a six-year-old, she picked one with stones that came from Ethiopia...  The country that years later would the birth place of my children.

I think it is amazing how in life everything fits into place and is connected in some way or another.

2 comments:

annieglan said...

<3 God does lay stones down in our past that creates a path to our present.

Jessica said...

It's amazing how God works!! He is GOOD!