Sooooo it's been a while since I've posted. I don't know if I'm back to blogging or not, but whatever. I'm here now so we'll see.
Anyway, my cousin B is getting married in like 3 weeks. I haven't seen her in a while (my dad's family isn't exactly close), but I was looking forward to attending the wedding. Besides, aren't weddings sort of a family obligation?
However, we're not going now. Although it didn't state on the invitation and although she said at her shower a few weeks ago that she was looking forward to meeting our girls, she contacted me yesterday about the girls' attending the reception. Basically, she'd prefer they didn't attend. Well, prefer is a nicer word than what it really is. She said she was "concerned about younger ones at the reception and think the girls might be too young."
She at first tried to put it off on me, saying that "it will be open bar" and she didn't know if it would bother us that the girls were there for that. She did offer childcare, but: 1. I had a bad experience as a child at a "childcare provided" wedding my parents attended, 2. I'm not having my girls with strangers in a strange hotel, and 3. if it is an "adult only" event, just say it on the invitation. Don't be elusive about it, and don't say the girls are welcome to attend and then change your mind.
I'm really hurt by the whole thing, and I don't understand why she didn't just come out and say it was an adult only wedding on the invitation. And I don't understand why she said she was looking forward to having them be there, etc., and then she changed her mind... Or really, then she realized she had to do something so that my children wouldn't be there.
My children wouldn't have ruined her wedding. Not one bit. And don't think this is about cost, either. The girl's "starter home" is nicer than any home I'll ever own, and her parents drive a Hummer. And the groom's parents aren't exactly hurting for money either.
I guess there is a reason why my brother J and I used to call her "B the Brat" when she was a kid. Some things never change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment