However, now I'm "friends" on Facebook with people from high school, some co-workers, other adoptive parents, my friends, and family. I think the family "friends" are the weirdest for me. I was just looking at some pictures of my cousin B, who's about 7 years younger than me and whom I haven't seen in about 8 years (at least I THINK she came to my wedding...). B doesn't post much, but her younger sister, my cousin M, does. M's a college student, and, for the life of me, I have no real memories of her from childhood (or B and M's even younger brother, N, for that matter!). To be honest, I have no clue how I even became "friends" with them on Facebook to begin with.
I do remember B, though, as she was born before my grandma died. I think she was probably about 4 when that happened, so we would have spent time together for the first four years of her life. My brother J and I used to call her "B the Brat," umm, because she was... a brat... when she was really young. It's weird to see her now as an adult with a fiancé and a career and a life.
It's also weird to me that I have cousins I don't really know. I wish that my parents would have made it more of a priority for our family to, well, stay a family after my grandma died. I guess that happens, but I think it is sad that I'm "friends" with these strangers who are also my cousins.
I think in that aspect, it is nice that Facebook is around to keep us in touch in some way or another. Even if I don't really know my cousins anymore, I do enjoy reading their updates and keeping touch with them at least in some way.

1 comment:
I feel the same way. After my Grandma dies when i was 4, I pretty much only saw the cousins on my Mom's side for Christmas, and even that was less and less as we got older, as most of them are older than me. When I picture them, it's mostly how they looked in the '80's. And now I'm "friends" with many of them on FB. Bizarre.
Post a Comment